Finding a user's pst file locations (Outlook 2003)

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Finding a user's pst file locations (Outlook 2003)

Post by GeoffW »

Hi

I'm new to Outlook in general, let alone what's behind- however I'm quite familiar with VBA in Word and Excel.

Is it possible to find where a user's pst files and group mailboxes are stored when Outlook is broken? Is this something which can be found using a program? Are these settings stored in the registry, or elsewhere?

If a user's profile was removed and added again (something which is done frequently) is it possible to then retrieve older values? Or can this only be done before removing a profile?

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Finding a user's pst file locations (Outlook 2003)

Post by Rudi »

In Outlook you can browse for the pst file by going: File Tab, Open & Export, Open Outlook data File.
This opens in the new location for Office 2010? and 2013 - C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Outlook Files
PST's can also be stored in this folder: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook (I think this is the older versions folder location)
1.jpg
Irrespective of when the profile is created, one of these two locations would probably be used as the default storage location.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BTW:

you can also go this route to find and access the paths for pst's...
1.jpg
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Thanks Rudi

However, I would like, if possible, to find the locations when Outlook cannot be opened- when something has been damaged.

Users will create archive pst files in their own network drive locations.

So is it possible to examine either the registry or an Outlook settings file, programatically or manually, when Outlook cannot be opened?

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

GeoffW wrote:Thanks Rudi
However, I would like, if possible, to find the locations when Outlook cannot be opened- when something has been damaged.
Users will create archive pst files in their own network drive locations.
So is it possible to examine either the registry or an Outlook settings file, programatically or manually, when Outlook cannot be opened?
Personally I'd use the Windows Search utility to find the PST file using criteria: *.pst
1.jpg
Interestingly, here is a free tool that assists one to Search for and View PST files without Outlook installed...
See: http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/pst-viewer.html
The main feature of this software is that it consists of a built-in Search option that helps in locating the .PST files on the computer system. This Search option is very helpful in case the user forgot the location of the file. The software Kernel for Outlook PST Viewer only opens the PST file and does not lets users save the items of the PST file.
Regards,
Rudi

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Thanks Rudi

A search is impractical as files may be located in several network drives- and some of them can be quite large.

I'd love a program like that one, but a downloaded program is against the rules.

If VBA in Excel could run against Outlook to examine a configuration file or the registry to find locations that would be extremely helpful.

I'd also like to be able to determine if there's any group mailboxes which have been set up for a user. I'm guessing that would be a similar location to the pst files (which are extra files used for archiving emails, not the default pst file).

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You can use the Control Panel Mail applet to find and manage Outlook files.

Joe
Joe

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

GeoffW wrote:Thanks Rudi

A search is impractical as files may be located in several network drives- and some of them can be quite large.

I'd love a program like that one, but a downloaded program is against the rules.

If VBA in Excel could run against Outlook to examine a configuration file or the registry to find locations that would be extremely helpful.

I'd also like to be able to determine if there's any group mailboxes which have been set up for a user. I'm guessing that would be a similar location to the pst files (which are extra files used for archiving emails, not the default pst file).
This type of coding you request extends outside my knowledge and comfort zone. Sorry Geoff.
I hope any other Outlook experts will be able to assist further...
Regards,
Rudi

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

I appreciate your help Rudi. Thanks for trying!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The location of PST files is stored in the registry, in Unicode entries under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\<ProfileName>

but it's rather complicated to get at them. See How to List your Outlook PST Details (file name/location, PST (old/new) version, size, etc.) (you have to sign in there to download files).
Best wishes,
Hans

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

That looks extremely promising. Thank you!