Outlook AutoCorrect

jmt356
SilverLounger

Outlook AutoCorrect

Post by jmt356 »

When I right-click a word in an Outlook email and then go to AutoCorrect and select the correct spelling, shouldn't Outlook remember this for the next time that I misspell the same word and correct it on its own? If not, is there a way to program Outlook to do this?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Outlook AutoCorrect

Post by HansV »

Which version of Outlook are you using? I don't see an AutoCorrect option in the context menu in Outlook 2010.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

To manage the AutoCorrect entries in Outlook 2010 & 2013 go to File | Options | Mail | Spelling and Autocorrect (button) | Proofing | Autocorrect Options (button). In the form you may select several options, add to the auto-replace list, or remove from the auto-replace list.

Joe
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I think the OP is using the spell checker and is thinking it is the AutoCorrect function.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If the OP makes the same typing mistake frequently it will get caught by the spell checker. If the OP wants to have it be fixed automatically the AutoCorrect option is the way to go as long as "replace text as you type" is enabled.

Joe
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I am using MS Professional Plus 2010 and MS Outlook version 14.0.7.

I am referring to Autocorrect, not Spellcheck.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This is the context menu I get in an e-mail message in Outlook 2010. I don't see an AutoCorrect option:
S275.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

HansV wrote:This is the context menu I get in an e-mail message in Outlook 2010. I don't see an AutoCorrect option:
When in the compose window:

File > Options > Mail...
x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Leif - I'm well aware of that. But jmt356 wrote "When I right-click a word in an Outlook email and then go to AutoCorrect"...
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Sorry, yes.

You need to select the word, and then go through the Options > Spelling and Autocorrect... > Autocorrect Options... >

to be able to do anything useful.
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Indeed, that's what you and I and JoeP (see higher up in this thread) do...
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I wonder if the OP wasn't referring to the various words you may see when you right click on a misspelled word. It seems as though he wants to automatically add the misspelled word & the selected correct word to the AutoCorrect list.

Joe
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

AutoCorrect shows up in my context menu when in an email, I right click on words such as “teh,” which Word can come up with a reasonable guess as to the correct spelling. Otherwise, if you activate the context menu for a word such as “dkdkdkdkdkdkd,” AutoCorrect will not show up in the context menu.
Regards,

JMT

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

jmt356 wrote:AutoCorrect shows up in my context menu when in an email, I right click on words such as “teh,” which Word can come up with a reasonable guess as to the correct spelling. Otherwise, if you activate the context menu for a word such as “dkdkdkdkdkdkd,” AutoCorrect will not show up in the context menu.
I think you are referring to SpellCheck, not AutoCorrect. If it was AutoCorrect, "teh" would be automatically corrected to "the".
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See the screenshot below.
S282.png
Keep in mind that AutoCorrect entries are linked to a specific language. If you add an AutoCorrect entry while using US English for example, then later compose a message in UK English, your AutoCorrect entry won't work.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hans, if I am not mistaken, when I select a correction from the Autocorrect sub-menu pictured above, the correction is not automatically remembered and corrected when retyped in the future, unless I go to AutoCorrect Options in the submenu pictured in your above screen shot and type in the erroneous entry and its corresponding correct spelling. I will watch for this more closely. If indeed it is not remembered, I will repost.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Before posting my previous reply, I tested how it works. For me, selecting an item in the AutoCorrect submenu does add it to AutoCorrect options. The added item was available again after quitting and restarting Outlook, and it was also available in the other Office applications. All Office applications share the same (unformatted) AutoCorrect entries.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I have one computer in which I am not the administrator. Perhaps updates that are installed wipe away my customized AutoCorrect entries. On my personal computer, Outlook appears to remember my customized AutoCorrect entries.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Updates to Office or Windows shouldn't affect your AutoCorrect entries.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I believe that when my administrator installs updates, all personalizations are wiped away.
Regards,

JMT