Outlook 2010 SMTP Outgoing Port Settings

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Outlook 2010 SMTP Outgoing Port Settings

Post by hlewton »

I have a program that may cause me to change the encryption on the outgoing port of my Outlook 2010 SMTP port. The port is 587 which it needs to be for both my ISP and this program. When this program is active I can receive email but not send it out. In the past when using Outlook 2003 and before my ISP changed the settings my Outlook 2003 outgoing port was using port 25. Then in order to send I had to change the port to 587 but now that is its default.

So now the makers of this program are suggesting I try to change port 587’s encryption from its default of “None” to one of the other choices I have. They are SSL, TLS, and Auto. I know nothing about this setting and wonder if experimenting with this setting trying to get one that will send will affect my Outlook in any detrimental way. In other words, can I make these changes without doing any permanent damage to my Outlook 2010 settings if none of them work?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Outlook 2010 SMTP Outgoing Port Settings

Post by HansV »

You can set the ports for incoming and outgoing mail for each e-mail account individually.
For example, my ISP's mail is set to use port 110 for incoming mail and port 25 for outgoing messages, with no encryption.
Gmail is set to use port 995 for incoming mail and port 587 for outgoing messages, with TLS encryption.
Outlook.com (Hotmail) uses ports 995 and 25, also with TLS.
If you specify an incorrect port for an account, you will not be able to send and/or receive using that account, but you won't cause any permanent damage, so it's safe to experiment. After changing the settings, click 'Test Account Settings...' to see if they work.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Ok thanks. I am only going to change the encryption but I will test it. I believe I will start with the Auto and see how that works.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

My ISP requires me to use different SMTP ports for SSL and TLS (they don't allow unencrypted connections). It's best to look up the ISPs rules before you play with some of this stuff.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK thanks. That is kind of what I was afraid of because the maker of that program suggested I contact them but also said he didn't think experimenting would hurt. I'll give them a call but probably will have to talk to a second level tech which often times is difficult to do.
Regards,
hlewton