Outlook 2010 View Settings

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Outlook 2010 View Settings

Post by hlewton »

In my Outlook 2010 the icons circled in red in the attachment can be clicked on to get to “mail,” “calendar,” “contacts,” etc. In an Outlook 2013 that I just helped a friend set up there were words in about the same location to get to “mail,” “calendar,” “contacts,” etc. instead of icons. I took a quick look at it but could not see any way to have it display icons like my Outlook. Later I tried to see if I could change mine to get the same thing but I still cannot see a way to make that change. Can what is circled in red be changed to words instead of icons in Outlook 2010 and the opposite in Outlook 2013, the words to icons? If so how?

Thanks
Outlook.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Outlook 2010 View Settings

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, you cannot get exactly the same look in Outlook as in Outlook 2013. You can display icons+captions by dragging the line above the icons upwards:
S0601.png
If you want to see icons only, drag the line back down.

To display icons in Outlook 2013:
- Click the three dots ... to the right of the last caption.
- Select Navigation Options... from the popup menu.
- Tick the check box 'Compact Navigation'.
- Click OK.

To return to captions, do the same but clear the check box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

As far as I know the answer is NO.
The wife has installed 2013 on one of her laptops, so we and play (learn about it) and we have not found a way.

For those that have not seen 2013, see the attached image.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK thank you both for the replies. I'm kind of glad to read your answers since I did spend a little time looking for a resolution and didn't find one but I have to admit I never thought to click on the 3 dots.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:As far as I know, you cannot get exactly the same look in Outlook as in Outlook 2013. You can display icons+captions by dragging the line above the icons upwards:
S0601.png
If you want to see icons only, drag the line back down.

To display icons in Outlook 2013:
- Click the three dots ... to the right of the last caption.
- Select Navigation Options... from the popup menu.
- Tick the check box 'Compact Navigation'.
- Click OK.

To return to captions, do the same but clear the check box.
I tried this and did get a double arrows and double lines which I think means I should be able to drag the line above the icons upward but I cannot drag it either way. I can drag the, I believe it is called the navigation pane, to expand it sideways but not vertically. Is it locked some way and how can I fix that so I can resize it vertically? This is in my Outlook 2010 program.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Simply try again. If you do get the "double line with arrows" mouse pointer, you should be able to click and drag the splitter bar. It can't be locked as far as I know.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans but I have tried it many times since you posted that and I just tried it again over the entire width of that line. I have restarted Outlook and rebooted and started it again but still the same results. I get the double arrows and double lines but cannot move it. Also I have not been able to find any information about this searching the WEB. I have no idea what is going on but it isn't a critical issue; was just wondering why it didn't work.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I have tried my utmost to try an not get it to work?
I don't think there is any other way to operate this feature but to drag the sizing window accordingly.
Try to right click and choose Navigational Pane Options...then Reset (as a last ditch option).
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Solved or at least a resolution.

I have a year's paid subscription to Microsoft's technical support so I called them. Even before I called him I tried moving that line in a maximized window but it didn't move. Turns out it does move only in a maximized window but I was not moving the cursor far enough to get it to make its move. For me the cursor had to be moved up to about where you see the Amazon folder for the navigation pane to move at all. Anyway it now seems to be working but he could not give any good reason why it didn't move at the size window I use, which is not the maximized setting.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

LOL Rudi we posted at the same time. I do hope you see this and thanks again for your help.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Glad its resolved :)
Do try to use maximized windows from now on... :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:Glad its resolved :)
Do try to use maximized windows from now on... :laugh:
I guess I'll have to, at least on that machine. But let me throw a curve ball out here. I just fired up my laptop that also has Outlook 2010 on it and, you guessed it I'm sure, I can resize that navigation pane even when the window is not maximized. OH well!!
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't use a maximized window for Outlook 2010 and I can move the splitter bar without problem...
The Outlook window does have to be more than about 460 pixels high though, if it's less tall the splitter bar won't budge at all. But Outlook is hardly usable anyway if the window is 460 pixels high or less.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:I don't use a maximized window for Outlook 2010 and I can move the splitter bar without problem...
The Outlook window does have to be more than about 460 pixels high though, if it's less tall the splitter bar won't budge at all. But Outlook is hardly usable anyway if the window is 460 pixels high or less.
Hans I'm not at all sure how many pixels high my Outlook windows is but it takes up a fair amount of my screen. However, it apparently was not tall enough because after reading your post I stretched the top upwards and even though the window was not maximized I was then able to move that splitter bar. Just curious, how would I tell how tall, in pixels, my Outlook window is? I know you can't tell it from my original attachment because I had to clip it from the screen shot and paste it by itself in Paint to get a .jpg size I could attach but in height it comes about 38 mm from filling the desktop. I have to believe that is somewhat bigger than needed but still it does not work at that size. I just took another screen shot, resized it pretty much, and hope you can see what I am talking about in relationship to the desktop. In any case it does not work at this size so how do I measure its height?

Thanks
Desktop.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

A quick solution would be this... :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I was about to post the same link... :laugh:
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Linear minds think alike....
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks for the link.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well something must be wrong because I downloaded the file arulersetup.exe from that link and when I double click it, it ask which program I wanted to use to open it. As far as I know *.exe files are executable and should open when clicked but this one did not, it gave a dialog box that I had to click on "Open" and then the message I just described. I deleted it and downloaded it again. BTW each time, including the first time, it said it could not download the file but after clicking retry I got it but only to find what I described above. It is not all that important but just thought I'd report back.

Actually on closer look the file I downloaded is arulersetup_exe not arulersetup.exe as I stated above.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try changing the name to from arulersetup_exe to arulersetup.exe, then run it.
If that doesn't work, throw it away and download it again.
Best wishes,
Hans