Transferring over the email cache

jmt356
SilverLounger

Transferring over the email cache

Post by jmt356 »

When transferring data to a new computer, is it possible to transfer over the Outlook 2003 email cache, so that when typing an email address Outlook on the new computer recognizes the email address after typing the first few letters of the email address in the To or CC fields?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Transferring over the email cache

Post by HansV »

The autocomplete info for e-mail addresses is stored in a file with the same name as the Outlook profile you're using (by default, that name is "Outlook"), and with extension .nk2. So the default name is Outlook.nk2, but if you use an Outlook profile named JohnsMail, it will be JohnsMail.nk2.

Under Windows XP, this file is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Under Windows Vista and Windows 7, the file is stored in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook

<username> stands for your Windows username. The Application Data / AppData folder is hidden, so you must show hidden files and folders to be able to see the .nk2 file.
You can copy the .nk2 file to the appropriate folder on your new computer. If you use a different Outlook profile on the new computer, rename the file accordingly.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I see a file called Outlook, but I do not know if the extension is .nk2. How can I display file extensions in Windows 8?
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Turn on your extensions by going to Windows Explorer, Tools, View Options, then the View Tab.
Remove the checkmark at "Hide extension of known types" and then OK yourself out.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

jmt356 wrote:I see a file called Outlook, but I do not know if the extension is .nk2. How can I display file extensions in Windows 8?
Windows 8 - which version of Outlook are you going to use? You mentioned Outlook 2003, but that is not compatible with Windows 8, as far as I know.
And Outlook 2010 and later don't use a .nk2 file...
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I am using Outlook 2003. I have had no issues using it with Windows 8.

I turned on my file extensions and the only files I can find in C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook have the following extensions:
.pst
.dat
.log
.bak

This is also true of when I displayed hidden files and folders.

A file with the extension .nk2 also does not appear in C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook on the computer I am trying to copy from, so it is not a matter of having failed to copy it over.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Download the free utility NK2Edit - use the "Download NK2Edit in a zip File" link near the bottom of the page.
You don't have to install the program, simply unzip the downloaded zip file to any folder of your choice, then run the executable file.
On your old computer you can export your 'nicknames' to a file, transfer that file to the new computer, and use NK2Edit there to import them.
Best wishes,
Hans