I lost bookmarks, add-in and home page with Chrome update

jmt356
SilverLounger

I lost bookmarks, add-in and home page with Chrome update

Post by jmt356 »

A window popped up about a new Chrome that would synchronize my bookmarks and other information. It seemed innocent enough and I consented. Now I have lost all my bookmarks, my Chrome homepage, my add-on and other features. I think an update was installed (69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)), but I am not sure as I am unable to ascertain what version was installed before Chrome updated itself.

I went into Add or Remove Programs to try to determine whether a new version of Chrome had been installed, but the only thing I see under Chrome is a 2014 installation.

Is there any way to restore my bookmarks and add-ins, etc.?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: I lost bookmarks, add-in and home page with Chrome updat

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

It appears that link refers to where bookmarks are already synced to an account and a user deletes the bookmarks, which causes them to be deleted from other devices.

In my situation, I had all of my bookmarks deleted when Chrome updated and started syncing. I think my only solution is to manually reenter all of my bookmarks.
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Very strange? I have never experienced this scenario before? The update to v69 went without any issues in my case.

I do keep a list of backup bookmarks (by exporting them to my hard drive every now and then). This has come in handy from time to time.
I'm not sure about restoring extensions (and if there is an extension manager for this), but I picked up this advice from a Google search. Whether it is valid or not, I have not tested?
Try this:
Go to User Profile > AppData > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data (Right Click – Properties – Previous Versions Tab – Restore User Data File to an earlier time when extensions were available).
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.