Effects of changing a shared Google Drive folder

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

Effects of changing a shared Google Drive folder

Post by Diana van den Berg »

If the OWNER of a shared Google Drive folder changes the name of that folder, for example, from:

ML06-PC13
to
ML06-PC13 Mary Smith

1. Does the recipient sharer still have access to that folder?
2. Does the name of the recipient sharer's folder also change?
3. Does any procedure take place on the recipient sharer's folder - for example, like the folder duplicating and then moving files from the old folder to the new one?
4. What are the dangers in changing the folder name?

If the RECIPIENT of a shared Google Drive folder changes the name of that folder, for example, from:
ML06-PC13 Mary Smith
to
ML06-PC13 Mary Anne Smith

1A. Does the OWNER still have access to that folder?
2A. Does the name of the OWNER'S folder also change?
3A. Does any procedure take place on the OWNER'S folder - for example, like the folder duplicating and then moving files from the old folder to the new one and deleting the original folder?
4A. What are the dangers in the RECIPIENT changing the folder name?

Thank you for any help.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Effects of changing a shared Google Drive folder

Post by DaveA »

First of all, I would not be using any spaces in the folder or file names. Believe it not, causes many issues including trying to Map a drive.
Yes, they are suppose to be supported by most Operating Systems, but they truly are not.
Do a Google of spaces in file names and folders and you will find out many of the issues.

Now, back to your questions, depending on how these folder are shared, you may not have issues. But you did state about making NEW folders and moving to the new one. You will have to make NEW shares for any NEW folder. Mapped drive(s) will have to be redefined.

Even if you do a rename, I would redo the sharing of those folders, this just may be a time saving step.

As for Google drive I have no idea as I do not use the Cloud for any storage. I would not be doing any files or folder renaming as an RECIPENT, this type co changes should be done on the host (shared) machine.

That said, if you are running some "Domain" network on a server that will be a different story.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Each folder on Google Drive has a fixed unique ID. When you (as owner) share the folder, you actually share that ID. So if you change the name, the ID will not change.
The recipient will still be able to access the shared folder, and they will see the new name. There is no need for files to be copied or moved.

If the recipient has the right to rename the shared folder, the ID won't change either, so you (the owner) will still be able to access the folder, and see the new name.
Best wishes,
Hans

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

DaveA wrote:First of all, I would not be using any spaces in the folder or file names. Believe it not, causes many issues including trying to Map a drive.
Yes, they are suppose to be supported by most Operating Systems, but they truly are not.
Do a Google of spaces in file names and folders and you will find out many of the issues.

Now, back to your questions, depending on how these folder are shared, you may not have issues. But you did state about making NEW folders and moving to the new one. You will have to make NEW shares for any NEW folder. Mapped drive(s) will have to be redefined.

Even if you do a rename, I would redo the sharing of those folders, this just may be a time saving step.

As for Google drive I have no idea as I do not use the Cloud for any storage. I would not be doing any files or folder renaming as an RECIPENT, this type co changes should be done on the host (shared) machine.

That said, if you are running some "Domain" network on a server that will be a different story.
Thank you very much for the information, especially about the spaces.

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

HansV wrote:Each folder on Google Drive has a fixed unique ID. When you (as owner) share the folder, you actually share that ID. So if you change the name, the ID will not change.
The recipient will still be able to access the shared folder, and they will see the new name. There is no need for files to be copied or moved.

If the recipient has the right to rename the shared folder, the ID won't change either, so you (the owner) will still be able to access the folder, and see the new name.
Thank you very much for that, Hans. That is a great relief.