Post by HansV »

Thanks - got it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Firefox 10.0.1

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't see the need for a new thread for this. This morning I've gotten popup notifications from both Firefox and Thunderbird that a "security" update is available in version 10.0.2

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks again!
Best wishes,
Hans

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

For info this security update is for a bug in the libpng graphics library used by Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome and many other software packages. The bug could cause arbitrary code execution due to a maliciously crafted PNG file.
Tony

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, BigAl and TonyE!

I've not yet seen the pop-up, but I have a question. Perhaps it is yet another sign of (early :grin:) senility, but I recall once having a menu options in Fx to fetch updates. I can't find it now.

Whassup widdat den?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BobH wrote:... I recall once having a menu options in Fx to fetch updates. I can't find it now.
It's in Options, Advanced my friend...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, BigAl!

I found the options and have them set to be advised when updates are available so that I choose when to install them. What I was looking for was a way to force both Fx and Tb to fetch any updates that have not been applied. To prove the old maxim that even a blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn, this senile old fahrt FOUND the way to do it.

If one clicks Help/About(name) one finds a panel that allows one to click to seek and apply pending updates instead of waiting to be notified.

I know it's bad form and a sign of having entered one's dotage to answer one's own post, but all my friends here know about me anyway. :grin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

In the Help menu select "About Firefox" to make Firefox check for updates.
Tony

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I've said this in other posts, so at the risk of repeating, I usually try NOT to respond to updates for software that pop up on my screen.

I prefer to download the file so I can keep it in my software archives. I then run the update for both desktop and (now) laptop as well.

Another little idiosyncrasy of mine is that on "major" software products, I like to keep TWO versions on my hard drive, just in case there's a problem with the latest and I have to backtrack a level.