Firefox 9.0

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Firefox 9.0

Post by Bigaldoc »

Available now.

Mozilla Firefox Web Browser — Free Download

(Thunderbird too - see Other E-Mail Clients.)

HansV
Administrator

Re: Firefox 9.0

Post by HansV »

Thanks - got it through the built-in update mechanism.
Best wishes,
Hans

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

For Mac & Linux users wait for Firefox 9.0.1 which should be available via the built-in update system soon. The option to update to 9.0 using the built-in update system was only turned on for Windows.
Tony

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Just downloaded and installed version 9. The Welcome page immediately informed me that the browser was out-of-date and updated me to 9.0.1.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Made the mistake of updating to this version :groan:

Every time I open FF it checks my plugins for compatibility. Well, I can live with that. But it opens up a FF "Welcome" and Firebug page in addition to my home page, even though my Options tell it what is my home page.

How can I fix this please? Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Did you use FF on different PC to the one you normally use AND is your FF profile held on a network location so it can be picked up on the different PC?

Here at work my FF profile is held on a personal network drive but the actual FF application is on a PC's local (C: drive). Thus no matter which PC is sit at I get a consistent browsing experience, since my bookmarks and history travel with me.

BUT

If I move to a PC where the hard drive holds an old copy of FF then the 'update' process kicks in and downgrades me. Until FF 9 this behaviour was only an irritation and when I returned to my own desk the update again kicked in an put me back together again.

The other day I had to use a PC in a meeting room. It turned out to be on FF 8.0.1 and now that I'm back at my desk, which I know to hold FF 9.0.1, I find that Help|About tells me it is only 8.0.1 and that the 'update failed'. In other words there seems to be a problem with using a FF 9 profile on a FF 8 installation.

A colleague had more drastic problem on returning to his FF9 machine after using another PC, http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9129

I realise this doesn't offer a fix for your problem but it might be connected...

Ken

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks Ken, for the advice.

But I am using my laptop and haven't signed in anywhere else.

Everytime FF starts it checks for add-on compatibility, then opens 'Welcome to Firefox', my chosen home page, and 'Install Firebug' - which is already installed, as separate tabs. Despite my confirming in options to only open my my home page, and not check for add-on updates.

FF is ignoring me :hairout: and I recall now why I rarely update!!
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

.. just tried to update Firebug to the most recent version, and now I have five tabs opening on start-up !!

Does anyone have the link to an earlier version of FireFox handy? I might have to uninstall it and go back in time :flee:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ALL older versions of Firefox are still available from Mozilla. See Go back to an old version of Firefox. Read the instructions before downloading and installing!
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

agibsonsw wrote:.. just tried to update Firebug to the most recent version, and now I have five tabs opening on start-up !!...
I'm not familiar with Firebug, but have you tried deinstalling it and checking whether Firefox then works normally?
StuartR

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I don't think an option to de-install exists? I tried backing up my profile and going back to FF 3.6x, but in re-instating my profile the same issues persist (even
though I specified to just open my home page). Added: Sorry, I misread the previous post - I didn't try de-installing Firebug but (see below) it's a bit late now..

I've uninstalled it completely now and I might go back to Google Chrome for a bit. I don't really care about FireFox, it's Firebug that I want! Chrome is okay, but it scatters tonnes of files/folders all over the shop. And my dislike for IE persists..

Don't know why I updated it - I held off doing this for ages :groan:

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Update:

Google Chrome looks really slick, and seems nice and responsive :clapping:

I'll ignore FF for a while - but I know I'll want to re-install it at some point (for Firebug). But, so far so good :cheers:

Regards, Andy.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I have not seen any mention of your trying Firefox in Safe Mode (FF safe mode, not Windows safe mode). If you still have the offending version of FF installed, you may want to try Safe Mode to see if there are any clues to your problem there.

Another suggestion is to download the 9.0.1 full installation package and re-install. Use Safe Mode if necessary.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello Paul.

I tried the option to start without add-ins, but it started with the add-ins :groan: and the same issues persisted. I could have tried a command-line version -safemode(?) but I gave up and am happy with Google Chrome at the minute.

Thanks, Andy.

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

agibsonsw wrote:I tried the option to start without add-ins, but it started with the add-ins :groan: and the same issues persisted. I could have tried a command-line version -safemode(?) but I gave up and am happy with Google Chrome at the minute.
For when you feel inclined to resume using Firefox 9.0.1 you could try Tools | Add-Ons. There should be four links on the left of the page (URL about:addons); in my copy of FF they are Get Add-Ons, Extensions, Appearance and Plug-ins. There is an array of buttons on the Extensions page for Options, Disable and Remove and Disable buttons on the Plug-ins page.
HTH

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

agibsonsw wrote:Made the mistake of updating to this version :groan:

Every time I open FF it checks my plugins for compatibility. Well, I can live with that. But it opens up a FF "Welcome" and Firebug page in addition to my home page, even though my Options tell it what is my home page.
Were you using an official release or some nightly build, aurora, beta, whatever; i.e. were you on the release channel or using something else? And was it 9.0.1; have you used some tweaks earlier such as compatibility reporter etc. that perhaps didn't work with the new version; we did lack some info.

Could be good to know the exact version in the future, you never know with these web developers; :grin: anyhow it seemed like an incompatibility between add-on & browser versions, or some corrupt files related to the add-on, and solutions for that has already been suggested.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks for the response Argus.

I'm sure I could have fixed things with a little more patience, but I'm very happy with Google Chrome currently :smile:. It looks slick and is nice and responsive. It might slow down a little if I install Adblock, and I must look to see if it has a version of Table2Clipboard (my favourite add-on -in-up(?)).

I'm sure I'll (re)-install FF at a later date (for Firebug).

Andy.