File conversion - firefox.exe

curious
3StarLounger

File conversion - firefox.exe

Post by curious »

Hi -
For past few weeks every so often after clicking to open a Word 2002 file (SR2) from a shortcut on Desktop,I see the dialog box "File conversion - Firefox.exe" I copied the file without final paragraph mark. That seemed to have worked for a few days but then, today, upon opening the file I again had the dialog box.

I think I saw the Czech language as being the language the dialog box was indicating to use, if that's of any help. After clicking on Cancel, everything works fine.

(I haven't made any changes to Firefox that I can think of. A search on Web didn't produce any results.)

Thank you for any direction you can supply.

Curious

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: File conversion - firefox.exe

Post by Bigaldoc »

curious wrote:For past few weeks every so often after clicking to open a Word 2002 file (SR2) from a shortcut on Desktop,I see the dialog box "File conversion - Firefox.exe"
Would you right-click the shortcut and clip a shot of what the properties say, just in case it might help?

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Thanks for responding. Here is, I hope, the screenshot I took.

Junk props.doc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

curious wrote:Thanks for responding. Here is, I hope, the screenshot I took.
From the shortcut, I can't see any reason why that shortcut would have ANYTHING to do with Firefox. I wonder now if your "file associations" for the .DOC extension have gotten corrupted somehow. I don't know what OS you're running, but let me assume XP and ask you to take a look at your file associations.

If you open Windows Explorer, click on Tools and then Folder Options and finally File Types. Then scroll down until you find the .DOC extension to see what program it's associated with. In my example, I use Open Office, but yours should clearly show Microsoft Word. Let us know what you see, please.

PS If you don't have or want to use a "screen capture" program (and there are many free ones) you could, after doing your print screen, paste it into Paint or Paint.Net and crop the image instead of posting a Word document for a simple screen clip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Evening, Al -

Yup, "Opens with Microsoft Word." Should I hit Restore? Am confused since it says I have customized files with extension DOC and I don't believe I did.

(Thanks for the hint about using Paint.)

Thank you, Al,

CUrious

Curious

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

curious wrote:Yup, "Opens with Microsoft Word." Should I hit Restore? Am confused since it says I have customized files with extension DOC and I don't believe I did.
I've never seen that screen come up with a "Restore" suggestion, but I don't think it could hurt anything. We can always fix it later from scratch if need be. I also don't recall ever seeing anything about "customized files" before so it sure sounds like this is (might be) at the root of your problem. Let us know what happens...

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Evening -

Al, your screen shot does show the customized bit, right below "Opens with..."

I shall hit Restore and report back. Thanks again for your help.

Curious

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Aha, I see the line you're talking about now.

The important thing is which program does it say is "associated with" .DOC files? If it already says Word, then I've got you on a wild goose chase and we'll have to look elsewhere for a solution.

As a possible followup, if you run Word and try to open the document in question (NOT the shortcut, but the file itself) do you get the same error?

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

"...if you run Word and try to open the document in question (NOT the shortcut, but the file itself) do you get the same error?"

Al, so far, opening the file thru Word, all is ok. No message.

Will keep you informed.

Curious

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

curious wrote:Al, so far, opening the file thru Word, all is ok. No message.
If the file is opening OK directly from Word, then it looks strangely like something is wrong with the shortcut.

How about deleting THAT shortcut and creating a new one, just to see what happens? At least we know that there's nothing wrong with the file itself.

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Hi Big Al-

I tried an experiment and opened the old shortcut -- no message so far....

Curious--

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

curious wrote:I tried an experiment and opened the old shortcut -- no message so far....
Hmmmm, curious... (pun intended!) :blush:

(but we know who (what) curiosity killed, don't we. :innocent: )

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

I'm a dog person myself................................