Firefox And My Keyboard

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Firefox And My Keyboard

Post by Bigaldoc »

Boys, this is NOT my week for Firefox!!!

This morning as usual, I've been reading news, doing Facebook, Lounging, etc. I noticed early this morning that my arrow cursor buttons and page up/page down buttons weren't working correctly. Sometimes I'd get no response from a button and other times, a down arrow would take me to the bottom of a page. This has been going on for a few hours now and still persists.

At first I thought it was yet another Facebook server problem, but no, it continues here in The Lounge and elsewhere.

I opened a text editor with a lengthy file and all is well there. Into Windows Explorer without a problem. Opened IE8 and tried both Facebook and The Lounge without problems.

My conclusion: My Firefox has gotten corrupt somehow. Clearing the cache and rebooting didn't help. I'm gonna take a respite now, but later today, I think I'll use Revo to remove Firefox and try a re-install. Whew...

HansV
Administrator

Re: Firefox And My Keyboard

Post by HansV »

Perhaps it's not a coincidence that Chrome is at the point of surpassing Firefox in browser market share...
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Good one, Hans!

It dawned on me that a removal and reinstall might not be the problem if my PROFILE is corrupt. Letting a new install use that profile would be chasing my own tail.

Well, I think I was right on the money. I'm running from a test profile I keep around and the movement keys are working just fine.

Now, if I can just figure out which file(s) in my profile to delete without losing everything. I might just export my bookmarks for import into this profile and move on.

Added: Probably a better "first choice" would be to dig my profile folder out of an image backup from a couple of days ago first.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I suspect that the recent addon I tried may (must've?) corrupted my profile somehow. I'm glad I removed it as quickly as I did.

I retrieved all my profile files from my Sunday afternoon full image and my Firefox is performing as it should.

Sheesh...

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

You've maybe already encountered this page for FF diagnostics. The link that refers to Safe mode says that we can now hold the Shift key when starting FireFox to use FireFox without addons. Running without addons is probably the first step in diagnosing FF issues, and holding the Shift key is very useful to know :cheers:.

For Firefox, one of these Run commands, or shortcut targets, does the same:
firefox -safe-mode
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode

I'm responding to Bigaldoc, but thought that someone else might find this info useful :smile:. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Bigaldoc wrote:the recent addon I tried
If you would be so kind, what add-on caused your problem? (So I and other Loungers will know to approach it with caution.)
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Probably the one mentioned in Firefox Personal Icons.
Best wishes,
Hans