Firefox 3.0.18 & 3.5.8 released

TonyE
3StarLounger

Firefox 3.0.18 & 3.5.8 released

Post by TonyE »

Mozilla have released security/stability products for the Firefox 3 & 3.5 versions. The updates are available via the built in update system (select Help > Check for Updates)

You can obtain Firefox 3.5.8 from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can get 3.0.18 from the Mozilla ftp site - ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/f ... es/3.0.18/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For 3.0.18 you will need to select the folder that corresponds to your operating system, then the folder for your language to get to the installer.
Firefox 3 is due to be discontinues soon, though it appears Mozilla are planning for at least 1 more update

Mozilla Firefox 3.0.18 Release Notes
Mozilla Firefox 3.5.8 Release Notes

Mozilla recommends that people upgrade to Firefox 3.6, available from http://www.mozilla.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Firefox 3.0.18 & 3.5.8 released

Post by John Gray »

I updated to Fx 3.5.8 and then clicked on Help -> Check for Updates - and got Fx 3.6!

PS that massive gear wheel next to your head looks deeply worrying...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

TonyE wrote:You can obtain Firefox 3.5.8 from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mozilla recommends that people upgrade to Firefox 3.6, available from http://www.mozilla.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm glad we have you around here to steer us to the correct Mozilla site, Tony! When I got the inline popup yesterday for 3.5.8 I desperately tried to find where I could download the file rather than updating INSIDE the browser so I could then use it to update my Vista and Win7 installations. I couldn't find that :censored: thing anywhere! Thanks for the link!

I wonder when Mozilla will release the 3.6.2 version and whether it will contain a fix for the graphics problem (GIF) that has been reported here, initially by Argus?

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Bigaldoc wrote:I wonder when Mozilla will release the 3.6.2 version and whether it will contain a fix for the graphics problem (GIF) that has been reported here, initially by Argus?
The cause for the GIF problem has been identified, and a patch for it has been checked into the main Firefox trunk (this is what will become the next major version of Firefox). The patch is in the version of Firefox that I use on a daily basis and I have no problems displaying GIFs. As far as I can tell the patch is still waiting to be checked into the Firefox 3.6 branch, but should be done before 3.6.2 is released.

No date has yet been set for the release of 3.6.2, but it is likely to be released alongside 3.0.19 and 3.5.9
I have checked the bug listings for each of those versions and they all only have no more than 4 bugs to be fixed that are listed as blocking the release, so are all very near a release candidate stage.
Tony

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks as usual for the update, Tony!

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I see mention of version 3.6.2. I have 3.6 installed and a check for updates shows none are available. What happened to 3.6.1?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't remember why, but Mozilla is skipping 3.6.1 in favor of 3.6.2 :innocent:

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

PaulB wrote:I see mention of version 3.6.2. I have 3.6 installed and a check for updates shows none are available. What happened to 3.6.1?
It is all to do with Gecko build numbers, Mozilla want to keep Gecko build numbers in line with the Firefox version numbers.

Firefox is built on the Gecko engine, Firefox 3.6 is based on Gecko version 1.9.2
Mozilla then released the mobile version of Firefox, this was just after the Firefox 3.6 release and is based on Gecko 1.9.2.1
The next version of Firefox 3.6 will be based on Gecko 1.9.2.2, so they are calling it Firefox 3.6.2
Not having a 3.6.1 may be the only skip in the series, it is likely that future security updates for the mobile version of Firefox and Firefox 3.6 will be kept in line and based on the same Gecko engine version.
Tony

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thanks. I accepted the jump from 3.0.x to 3.5.x without question, so I guess a jump from 3.6 to 3.6.2 ain't that big of a deal.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.