Personal Toolbar Icons

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Personal Toolbar Icons

Post by Bigaldoc »

Does anyone know where Firefox stores the icons for elements inside folders on the personal toolbar, OR how to refresh them en masse?

Just about all the items on my personal toolbar are FOLDERS containing multiple bookmarks. For some strange reason, Fx has "forgotten" all the icons INSIDE those folders until I click one and then it refreshes the icon as in the small clip. In the clip, I've accessed Cricket and Verizon but look at the other three.

I'm not talking about the icons for the personal toolbar folders, 'cause I do those with a customized userchrome.css

Thanks...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Personal Toolbar Icons

Post by Bigaldoc »

I decided to Google around some more to see if I could find an answer to this one. I did see that evidently it's a problem that LOTS of people have, but I don't know what, if any, the solution might be.

This attachment shows what happens if I click on (visit) one of the bookmarks with a favicon. It usually gets restored except that some (many?) pages don't seem to have favicons.
2011-12-06_003046.png
Somewhere along my Googling trail, I found mention of this addon which purports to, among other things, repair favicons. So, I installed it to give it a try. It did fix a number of them, but NOT all. After running it, I still have many with no favicons and after visiting the favicons return. Tells me that this addon is not very effective, so I've removed it. Seems I'm faced with "living with it."

CheckPlaces :: Add-ons for Firefox
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Thanks for this legwork Al, all my Favicons disappeared with the latest update to v8.

I'm not too worried though as in most (but not all) cases they come back if I follow the link. Also I can use the lack of a Favicon to spot bookmarked links that never get used and thus are suitable for deletion.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

stuck wrote:Also I can use the lack of a Favicon to spot bookmarked links that never get used and thus are suitable for deletion.
Turning a bug into a feature, eh? Always look on the bright side of life... :smile:
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:yep: some of my bookmarks are ancient, no server let alone a page on the other end!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Yeah, me too, Ken! When I ran that addon, it counted just under 1,700 bookmarks in my "stable" and I'd wager that I don't use 10% but have never had the time or patience to clean 'em up!!!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:Yeah, me too, Ken! When I ran that addon, it counted just under 1,700 bookmarks in my "stable" and I'd wager that I don't use 10% but have never had the time or patience to clean 'em up!!!
Al,
I don't know if this is something you may have tried before but AM-DEADLINK has been around for quite a while. It does do a good job of clearing out dead or corrupted favorite links. I know it works in both IE and Fx by just scanning your entire fav list and showing you what works and/or doesn't respond any more.

http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And it's :free:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks, Bob, I'll give it a look for the sake of OLD and un-used bookmarks.

But the quest I've been on, which is trivia I know, is the favicons which have disappeared.

Edited to add: Oops, You didn't say that it ALSO claims to download favicons. Goin' there NOW!!!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

No luck, Bob!

It instantly brought up a list of my 1,670 Firefox bookmarks. None was marked as dead (error). When I re-started Firefox, it hadn't done a damn thing to reinstall favicons. I checked about five manually and their favicon DID reappear after clicking the link, which is the universally reported behavior.

I give up. It ain't worth any more grief. I'll just put up with the little empty square favicons...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Nice one Bob.
Took me on a trip down memory-lane.
Then I hit "delete"!
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:No luck, Bob!

It instantly brought up a list of my 1,670 Firefox bookmarks. None was marked as dead (error). When I re-started Firefox, it hadn't done a damn thing to reinstall favicons. I checked about five manually and their favicon DID reappear after clicking the link, which is the universally reported behavior.

I give up. It ain't worth any more grief. I'll just put up with the little empty square favicons...
I'm not trying to be a smart a**, Al, but you DID hit F9 after the list came up to check the bookmark list? :grin:
BOB

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:I'm not trying to be smart
Oh Come come Bob, why so modest? :laugh: You ARE smart.

That sucked me in too.
My first thought was "My that was fast, 1,494 bookmarks tested in under a second", then I thought "And all of them alive and well. Who's ha' thunk it?".

Then my recent experience with EaseUs or Macrium clicked in, where you rattle off a list of "commands" but still have to execute them.
For mouse junkies:
Untitled.png

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

viking33 wrote:I'm not trying to be a smart a**, Al, but you DID hit F9 after the list came up to check the bookmark list? :grin:
You're NEVER a smart a** when it comes to your "tutoring" of me! You, Chris and Hans keep me on the straight and narrow.

In this case, for the SECOND time today, I :blush: when I tell ya that, NO, I did not press F9, nor did I see the green checkmark so aptly shown by Chris.

So, just now, I rectified my mistake and pressed F9. Took quite some time to check my list and HOLY S**T, there is a lot of RED in that list. So, now I don't know what to do next. Do I go for some samples of all those red ones to be sure they really are bad or do I take it on blind faith and let them be deleted? I'm pretty scared at this point.

AND, in addition, what the heck to I do next to get it to DOWNLOAD the favicons that are missing? Sheesh, this is only Wednesday and I feel like... well, I think you know...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bigaldoc wrote:Do I go for some samples of all those red ones to be sure they really are bad or do I take it on blind faith and let them be deleted?
Al Take care with the REDs.
Some of them are red just because they need a password to get in, so the cleaner sees them as unavailable.
Sort by Status to group all the reds of the same type together, Click-Shift-Click then delete, leaving to OK reds in place.

Note that there is an export options; presumably you might export before deleting, and reimport if you make a boo-boo.
Untitled.png

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Ahhh, so I sez to meself, go for it, Big Al! I've got lots of backup images and can always recover my Firefox profile if things go in the trash can.

I went back and deleted all the bookmarks marked in RED that were either dead, invalid, access denied, etc. Took my list down by about 300 bookmarks. I went back to Firefox and all seems OK so far.

However, the ultimate REASON for this adventure in my case, FAVICONS hasn't had any change. None was restored or re-downloaded in the process. Looking at the settings, I see this:
2011-12-07_180822.png
I'm not sure at this point if Deadlink knows how to "fix" missing favicons for Firefox, given the above screen. But, I'll keep looking.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote: AM-DEADLINK ... does do a good job of clearing out dead or corrupted favorite links.
Hi Bob.
Unexpected side-effect: The automated clear-out of deadwood has left me with a manageable folder of bookmarks "To Be Investigated"; that list had grown to overwhelming size, which meant i didn't prune it at all.
Auto-delete of the deadwood renders the manual task of inspecting the remaining links a manageable exercise.
Thanks!

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Bigaldoc wrote:I'm not sure at this point if Deadlink knows how to "fix" missing favicons for Firefox, given the above screen. But, I'll keep looking.
If you are still lacking Favicons in AM-DeadLink there's an indistinct icon to the immediate right of the green tick icon - looks something like an apple. Its tooltip is: Check Bookmarks and download Favicons.
get_favicon.jpg

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

MalcolmWalker wrote:If you are still lacking Favicons in AM-DeadLink there's an indistinct icon to the immediate right of the green tick icon - looks something like an apple. Its tooltip is: Check Bookmarks and download Favicons.
It does look like an Apple and I suspect that's a clue. It does nothing...

Keep in mind what I reported about it earlier and in this clip from their web page:
2011-12-09_114436.png

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I forgot to say: as with all things "computer," one has to be careful with Deadlink as well.

A few of the bookmarks that it "didn't like" were OK in truth. One such example is a bookmark I have that takes me directly to my Eileen's Lounge private message Inbox. The bookmark works just fine but Deadlink reported it an ERROR in red letters. I thought it might have been a password problem, but it did NOT yield an error on my other Lounge bookmarks, which of course also are password dependent.

Just a heads up for others...

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

It''s always a good idea to recheck the bookmarks that were selected as bad, by holding down Ctrl > mouse left clicking them and then selecting the check all selected bookmarks option to rerun the checks on just those selected links.
Then if they still fail, you can do the same and hit the big red X and delete them all. ( and of course, un-selecting the ones that passed the second pass )
BOB