Firefox 3.6.21 & 6.0.1 released

TonyE
3StarLounger

Firefox 3.6.21 & 6.0.1 released

Post by TonyE »

Mozilla have released Firefox 3.6.21 and 6.0.1, available from the built-in update system. This release is not due to any problems with Firefox, and it does not contain any updates for Firefox. The only change from the previous version is to remove a root CA digital certificate due to a compromised .google.com certificate issued by DigiNotar. There are reports of the compromised certificate being used in the wild.

The removal of the DigiNotar root CA will effect all websites that have certificates issued by DigiNotar. Sites using DigiNotar certificates will give security errors when you try to access them after installing this update, for example the Dutch government use DigiNotar for its secure sites.

Google and Microsoft are taking similar action:
http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.co ... iddle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blogs.technet.com/b/msrc/archive ... 07712.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony

HansV
Administrator

Re: Firefox 3.6.21 & 6.0.1 released

Post by HansV »

Thanks! The update refused to install the first time I tried, but the second time it went smoothly.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

No problem on my work machine, although it did baulk at "effect"/"affect"! :grin:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Thanks! The update refused to install the first time I tried, but the second time it went smoothly.
Same here. On the second shot I had an option read something like "Apply the already-downloaded updates?" as if the d/l worked, but the installation was one-step out of synchronization.

SPREAD THE WORD I'm using the most up to date version of some software :clapping:
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

John Gray wrote:No problem on my work machine, although it did baulk at "effect"/"affect"! :grin:
Surely you baulked, not your PC?
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ChrisGreaves wrote:SPREAD THE WORD I'm using the most up to date version of some software :clapping:
W00t!
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

HansV wrote:
John Gray wrote:No problem on my work machine, although it did baulk at "effect"/"affect"! :grin:
Surely you baulked, not your PC?
I have a very intelligent and spelling-/grammar-aware PC!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Hot on the heels of 3.6.22/6.0.1, Mozilla are currently building Firefox versions 3.6.22 and 6.0.2. The last update blocked sum certificates that shouldda bean whitelisted, specially those used on sum Dutch government sights. I expect the release within the next 24 hour's.
Tony

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Taunting John Gray's PC? :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

TonyE wrote:24 hour's.
I'll gloss over the abuse of the apostrophe and carry on waiting for the release of 3.6.22.

Ken

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

stuck wrote:
TonyE wrote:24 hour's.
I'll gloss over the abuse of the apostrophe and carry on waiting for the release of 3.6.22.
Will you gloss over the other errors in that post :evilgrin:

Though Mozilla have created Firefox 3.6.22 and 6.0.2 they have not released them. They are considering including further patches relating to the DigiNotar certificates and may create new versions of 3.6.22 and 6.0.2. In the meantime the Dutch may not be able to submit their tax returns :grin:
Tony

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

TonyE wrote:the Dutch may not be able to submit their tax returns :grin:
Only some of the Dutch. I believe there is one notable Dutchman who describes himself as an "unrepentant IE user". :laugh:

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The deadline for completing tax returns in The Netherlands is the 1st of April (and that's not a joke!), so most people (including me) will not have a problem. Only those who asked for an extension until the 1st of September are affected by the DigiNotar problem, and they can use a different browser or an older version...
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

About half an hour ago ago, the Dutch government announced that it won't be using DigiNotar's certificates anymore. DigiNotar failed to notify the Dutch government that DigiNotar servers had been hacked, and there are reports that DigiNotar continued to issue false certificates after it learned of the hack.
Dutch citizens won't be able to use some online government services until new certificates from another provider have been installed.
Best wishes,
Hans