Permissions Manager

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Permissions Manager

Post by Gloria E »

Are you aware that Firefox 6 has introduced the site specific Permissions Manager?

To access it, open Firefox, type into the address bar: About:permissions. About.com's Newletter, dated 8/23/2011, has a tutorial about how to use it. Below is the link for the tutorial.

http://specials.about.com/service/newsl ... 144000.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Permissions Manager

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Gloria.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Excellent find! Thank you.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I tried entering "about:permissions" and it locks up Firefox and causes it to stop responding. I can stop the process and reload Fx but addressing 'about:permissions' locks it up again.

???
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you have (or have you had) SpyBot Search & Destroy installed?
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes. It is currently installed.

Should I uninstall Spybot and then try? The reason I ask is that I'm getting a funky sql error message from the Fx forum, too.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Spybot S&D has a feature called Immunize; this adds thousands of "bad" websites to your Hosts file to block them. While this is a useful feature, it causes About:Permissions in Firefox 6 to take an endless time to load.
If you want to keep the protection of Spybot S&D's Immunize feature, it's best not to use the About:Permissions feature in Firefox.
If you want to use About:Permissions, you should turn off Immunize in Spybot S&D.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Hans!

I had forgotten about the immunize function in SS&D. I've uninstalled it for now because I want to experiment with permissions manager.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I was able to access permissions after uninstalling Spybot S&D.

It looks to be a powerful tool. For one thing it showed me that there are many urls known to Firefox that I was not aware were part of my history. Got some work to do there.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)