Java Console Versions

omega0401
StarLounger

Java Console Versions

Post by omega0401 »

In my Firefox 4.0 I have 3 Java Console extensions, 6.0.22 and 6.0.23, and 6.0.24 all enabled. Do I need all three of these? Does the latest version include the previous two version updates?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Java Console Versions

Post by HansV »

You only need the most recent one, and you can safely remove the older ones. If the option to remove them is grayed out, quit Firefox, then right-click your Firefox shortcut and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:You only need the most recent one, and you can safely remove the older ones. If the option to remove them is grayed out, quit Firefox, then right-click your Firefox shortcut and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.
Reading this thread, I looked at my Fx and saw that I had two versions, 6.0.25 and 6.0.26. The earlier one was disabled but the only option was to enable it with none to remove it. ( not even greyed out)
I tried running as admin but there was no change there. I looked in profiles but could not find any mention of Java Console.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

"Run as Administrator" is the more-or-less official recommendation (Java - MozillaZine Knowledge Base, section Multiple Java Console extensions), but if that doesn't work, I'd let it be for the moment. Perhaps someone else will come up with a better suggestion.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

My question would be: Do you need any of them? Java seems to be virtually extinct in modern PC software with the rise of Flash, and the only major suite which seems to require it is Open Office/LibreOffice... Try uninstalling Java and see if anything objects!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

According to this article
kb.mozalline.org wrote: You can also manually remove unwanted extensions by opening the installation directory "extensions" folder and deleting the associated subfolder (e.g., to uninstall the Java Console 6.0.18 extension, open the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\ folder and delete the "{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0018-ABCDEFFEDCBA}" subfolder)
When I had this problem I tried lots of suggestions, but this was the only thing that worked.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

StuartR wrote:According to this article
kb.mozalline.org wrote: You can also manually remove unwanted extensions by opening the installation directory "extensions" folder and deleting the associated subfolder (e.g., to uninstall the Java Console 6.0.18 extension, open the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\ folder and delete the "{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0018-ABCDEFFEDCBA}" subfolder)
When I had this problem I tried lots of suggestions, but this was the only thing that worked.
Stuart & John,
Actually, I'm trying both of your suggestions.
Stuart's worked by removing the older 6.0.025 listing from the extension folder. The only difference in my case, was that the Mozilla program itself is in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder and the subfolder was xxxx-etc -0025- instead of -0018-.
That removed the older listing in the Fx extensions list perfectly.

As to John's question of the need for Java Console at all, my thought was that I must have installed it for some reason? However, while I was in that same subfolder, I renamed the -0026- entry temporarily and will watch for some prog complaining that I need Java Console installed. If so, then will rename it back to it's old title. I could have done the same by just disabling it within Fx but this worked too.

Overall, thanks to both for your solutions. :thankyou:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

omega0401
StarLounger

Post by omega0401 »

Thank you for the replies. I went into the Addon Extension options in Firefox and disabled all the versions except the latest one which is 26. Then I took Stuart's advice and went into the folder and deleted the appropriate folder versions, relaunched Firefox and all but the latest version was left.

The latest one was installed on June 16, 2011. I do remember updating Java but I didn't realize it included a new Java Console. If I see any new ones in the future, I'll know what to do to clean things up.

Whether I need it or not I don't know but as long as it isn't hurting me I'll leave it alone for now.