Not just Google playing dirty [foxing useragent ]

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Not just Google playing dirty [foxing useragent ]

Post by stuckling1 »

in this thread we learned that Google was attempting to hard-ball consumers into using Chrome by providing an inferior service to non-Chrome users.

Well now it looks like Microsoft is up to that same trick - removing a few little features in Windows Live Hotmail for web ( http://www.mail.live.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) for non-IE users. Features removed include ability to sort mail into folders by drag&drop and Quick View of attached media. :groan:

Is there any way to get around these artificial limitations Microsoft are placing on the service?
Any easy way to have FFx appear to be IE9 ?
Ideally only on Microsoft sites - for everything else it's quite cool just being Firefox!
Come to think of it, can I make my Firefox (v4.0 currently) appear to be IE9 on Microsoft sites; whilst appear to be Chrome 10 on Google sites; whilst remaining as Firefox by default for all other websites.
Basicly I'm trying to suck it to the companies that try to hard-ball me into using a browser I don't like... Does this make me a bad person?

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Re: Not just Google playing dirty [foxing useragent ]

Post by stuckling1 »

Edit - found & will test this addon
http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -switcher/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My current questions include
Is this likely to mess up my browser (beyond what removing the addon can fix) ?
And will having the browser pretend to be IE alter the way it renders pages?

Will be away next week but thoughts appreciated!

:grin:

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Post by stuckling1 »

Tested the user-agent-switcher addon from here as noted in above post - pleased to say it's easy enough to use with a nice button, menu & dialogue box control.

I set the addon to make FFx4 pretend to be IE9 , then used http://browserspy.dk/useragent.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to see what I could sniff.
The results of a side-by-side comparision with actual IE9 are shown below.

Seems a pretty good cop - in that it does what it promises. And no problems with rendering or browser behaviour.
But sadly still doesn't seem to circumvent the original problem with Hotmail - MS still seems to know I'm not using IE, despite all appearances being altered to show the contrary! :scratch:
I should also re-iterate that the drag&drop features of Hotmail are not unique to IE - until very recently they worked perfectly in all browsers.

Guess I gotta keep playing with User Agent Switcher until I hit gold/get bored.

In the mean time, any thoughts & suggestions greatly appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Post by stuckling1 »

Pleased to report the Hotmail issue that originally prompted this thread (if you can call it that... more of a monolgue but hey ho)
has resolved.

Upshot of my tinkering - I recommend the User Agent Switcher addon discussed above, it does a good Ronseal job with very little hassle. Reckon I'll leave it installed in case of future need.

Tatty-bye Loungers! :smile:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuckling1 wrote:Pleased to report the Hotmail issue that originally prompted this thread ...
As a monologue it's pretty good. I often find myself talking to myself when I am out with a friend ...

I only noticed it by "View recent Posts", but I'm glad you posted it all.

I had no idea that one could/would need to make one browser FAKE two other browsers just to delude some server into thinking ...

Good sleuthing work.
And I learned something, too.

P.S. Welcome Back!
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle