FireFox - Certificate errors

Bowlie
5StarLounger

FireFox - Certificate errors

Post by Bowlie »

Sorry for being a little disjointed here, but my problem is with my office PC from which I'm 'forbidden' to log into sites such as Eileen's Lounge. So I'm at home using my Mac and Safari ....

In the last weeks I've been getting errors accessing hppts sites like https://www.britishairways.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The error, which I can't duplicate in IE (on the PC) or in Safari (on the Mac) says something about the Certificate... ??? I've upgraded to 3.6, I've uninstalled and reinstalled and still it continues. Even though I thought I had completely uninstalled obviously some FF files remained, 'cause I kept my bookmarks and other stuff.

I tried searching (in Explorer) for the FF files so I could try adding them back in one at a time, to see which one is causing the problem - but I couldn't find them.

I also searched FF help and found a couple of references, none of which worked - although someone said he had fixed this by doing a 'complete' uninstall and then reinstalled ... :grrr:

Any clues and/or suggestions?

PS I can access the lounge from work, I just can't log-on - so I'm one of the lurkers that you see from time to time.

TonyE
3StarLounger

Re: FireFox - Certificate errors

Post by TonyE »

Security certificates are stored in a file called cert8.db in the profile folder. You can try removing that file to see if it helps.

For info, by default Firefox will not remove the profile folder when you uninstall it, it just removes the application. User settings are stored in the profile folder, so when you re-install Firefox it sees that there is already a profile folder and uses it, which is why all of your settings are intact when you reinstall Firefox.
Tony

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have moved this thread from Other Browsers to the Firefox forum - we have a separate forum for Firefox on Eileen's Lounge, since Firefox is now a major browser.
Thanks to TonyE for suggesting the move.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Have a look in Tools > Options > Advanced > Encryption > View Certificates...
If you find a certificate for the problem site then delete it
StuartR

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Tony, Stuart, Hans ....

Thanks very much, sorry for posting it in the wrong forum - I honestly didn't see the one for FireFox!

Will have a go tomorrow in the office and post back with my success!!!! :evilgrin: :cheers:

P.S. I hope this :chocciebar: is enough for the three of you, if not let me know I have more where that came from,

or possibly :wine: or :cheers:

or how about :wine: and :claude:

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

:wine: and :chocciebar: for me please
StuartR

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Er, perhaps a little hasty with the :chocciebar:

Removing the cert8.db file didn't fix the problem. Same results. Problem is with all 'secure' (i.e. https) sites. I couldn't find a certificate for British Airways in the 'view certificates'.

The actual error message is:
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.britishairways.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is
unknown.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)
---------------------------------------------

I'm also getting a new error message intermittently see attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

This error sounds like a problem with the higher level certificate that should be authenticating the failing certificates.

Have a look at Firefox Tools > Options > Advanced > Encryption > View Certificates > Authorities
Do you see about 200 certificates in a very long list?
StuartR

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

This could be a firewall problem. Some firewalls install a proxy to monitor internet traffic and send their own certificate instead of the certificate from the web server. This thread at the Mozilla support forums may help.
Tony

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Ahhh :doh: firewall. Don't have the same problem with IE on the same sites. I've got IE Tab for Firefox, so I'll open https stuff with IE, I guess.

It's also blocking the Firefox Addons updater, Don't suppose that would open in IE ...

Firefox is another of those things that we aren't suppose to use. :cop: Security problem apparently :liar:

I hearby reinstate the :chocciebar: :chocciebar: :chocciebar: !!!