A known issue with some animated GIF files Fx 3.6

Argus
GoldLounger

A known issue with some animated GIF files Fx 3.6

Post by Argus »

I have noticed that some old GIFs do not work properly, all the time, here in the Lounge and at some other places. It could be one of two things that coincide in time, for me, the move to Firefox 3.6 and some days later the new software in this Lounge. But I remember seeing something mentioned as a "known issue" in the release notes for Fx 3.6, a problem with "Some animated GIF files may not render properly, leaving small artifacts behind".

It is mentioned here in the release notes: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.6/releasenotes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With a link to a bug report here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=538752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe this is the case; sometimes one quarter of a smiley is missing, other times small traces of the previous frames remain.
Examples from the Lounge:
:argue: :help: :bif:

A solution is underway, it seems.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Re: A known issue with some animated GIF files Fx 3.6

Post by HansV »

You could always use Internet Explorer - the smilies in your post look OK there... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

:sarcasm:

I guess you can see this one :chatter: as well, without problems. :laugh:

(Yes, I tested some with IE8 before posting.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Argus wrote:A solution is underway, it seems.
Oops, here's a case where I'm glad I procrastinated! I hadn't gotten in a hurry to install it and some of those known issues, in addition to the GIF problem, make me want to wait even longer. I suppose a patch might be forthcoming...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

These smilies all look normal in Firefox 3.6 for me
StuartR

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

StuartR wrote:These smilies all look normal in Firefox 3.6 for me
Even :bif: ?
x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Stuart,
It was just some examples from the Lounge (GIFs in the first post). Since (animated) GIF files are part of what we see and use here in the Lounge, I thought it could be good to give some examples from this place. I can't say I examined them all, just picked a few. You can find other examples discussed in the bug report, mentioned above.

I don't use IE, but did a test, as mentioned, and I did it again. It's not the exact same frame, in the example, but it shows it quite well.

Fx 3.6
GIF.PNG
IE8
GIF_IE.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Ah, I can see the missing parts now. I never claimed to be observant, just to have a copy of Firefox 3.6
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

StuartR wrote:Ah, I can see the missing parts now. I never claimed to be observant, just to have a copy of Firefox 3.6
:laugh:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

StuartR wrote:Ah, I can see the missing parts now.
What a useful talent!
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I forgot to mention; I think that we 3.6 users should be happy that the :chocciebar: isn't animated...Then, we had only received half or a quarter. :sad:

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Argus,

A fine observation like that deserves a :chocciebar: or two :chocciebar: :chocciebar:

Bon appetit
StuartR