Default settings restored

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Default settings restored

Post by Dave Davison »

..Of late, every time I log on to the net the attached message pops on to the screen suggesting that the setting have been changed but I have not effected any such alterations. What might be causing this message to appear and how can it be prevented please. :scratch: Thank you Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Default settings restored

Post by HansV »

I don't see an attached message...
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

..fault ceases but will grab it if it reappears, sadly, deleted the screen shot so can't post it... The message simply indicated that my default setting had been restored AGAIN. Regards & Thanks Dave.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Perhaps the fault disappeared when you deleted the screen shot. :grin:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Quite possible BUT just now when I attempted to access the net it popped up again as it has done countless times of late. When I click the OK button it disappears and proceeds to open the requested web page with no further glitch during the current surfing session. :scratch: Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Quit Firefox.
See if you have a folder F:\Program Files\Firefox\Extensions\search@searchsettings.com
If so, delete this folder.
Restart Firefox.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.did a search using the string you gave but nothing was found so I looked in | C: |Prog Files | Firefox |Extensions - the screen shot showing the contents. "searchsettings@spigot" being the only files that resembles the one you suggest. Back to you Hans. Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Activate the Add/Remove Programs control panel.

Do you see an item Dealio Toolbar there? Or an item whose name is like Search Settings? If so, remove it (or both, if present).
Best wishes,
Hans

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

Dave Davison wrote:.did a search using the string you gave but nothing was found so I looked in | C: |Prog Files | Firefox |Extensions - the screen shot showing the contents. "searchsettings@spigot" being the only files that resembles the one you suggest.
Another place to look for extensions is your active profile folder. Try: %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles and drill down from there. Of course, it's easier to use Tool > Add-ons if the extension is listed there.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks......looked in Add/Remove progs but nothing visible like those you suggest Hans, did a search for %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles and got the first screen shot...opened that and got the 2nd...opened that and got the last view. Don't know if they reveal anything significant to you but they don't to me I'm afraid. Thanks again Dave.

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

Hmmm, yes, I forgot to mention, the folder and file names in the extensions folder may be GUIDs or other gibberish. If you have a lot of extensions, it probably isn't efficient to try to match them to the Tools>Add-ons list. I wonder whether someone has posted a cheat sheet of any kind?

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

jscher2000 wrote:
Dave Davison wrote:.did a search using the string you gave but nothing was found so I looked in | C: |Prog Files | Firefox |Extensions - the screen shot showing the contents. "searchsettings@spigot" being the only files that resembles the one you suggest.
Another place to look for extensions is your active profile folder. Try: %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles and drill down from there. Of course, it's easier to use Tool > Add-ons if the extension is listed there.
jscher2000 wrote:Hmmm, yes, I forgot to mention, the folder and file names in the extensions folder may be GUIDs or other gibberish. If you have a lot of extensions, it probably isn't efficient to try to match them to the Tools>Add-ons list. I wonder whether someone has posted a cheat sheet of any kind?
A quite nifty way to link that info is the "Troubleshooting Information page" or "support page", included since v. 3.6, I think. Though many times, if not too many extensions as you said, it’s not that difficult when looking at the content in the different folders, that said, this is a nice sum-up.

Help menu > Troubleshooting Information...

Or slightly more "geeky": about:support
FxTS.png
It shows changed settings, also has a button to open the profile in Explorer, don't have to drill down the folders (though I don't think one should start doing things there, when Fx is open :grin:); links to some other geeky info etc.

I think you can call it a cheat sheet, sort of; for installed extensions that is. :grin:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

Argus wrote:Though many times, if not too many extensions as you said, it’s not that difficult when looking at the content in the different folders, that said, this is a nice sum-up.

Help menu > Troubleshooting Information...
That is fantastic. I wish they would differentiate enabled/disabled items (e.g., by font or background color) for easier spotting.