Add-on to exclude domains from right-click?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Add-on to exclude domains from right-click?

Post by BobH »

Hello HJ!

Yes, I, too, am using zip 8. Can't wait for the user guide and an updated version.

Now, if I can just figure out how to make it open in a new folder . . . . :scratch:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

BobH wrote:OK. I added the bookmark, now I just need to figure out the frame bit and I'm home.
Hello and thanks very much for your comments.

I never attached the framed version of my search page as most people aren't fond of frames. However, as you are interested I'll go back to it and post it for you later.

Andy.

P.S. When you open my search page in FF you can right-click it and choose 'Bookmark this Page'. If you then click the Bookmarks menu you can drag GoSearch onto your Bookmarks toolbar (although I think you may have achieved this already).
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.

Bob, I've attached the iFrames version for you (called GoSearchi.html).

With version 10 (final!) I've separated Delete and Modify to two buttons - thought it was a bit confusing otherwise. With this and the iFrames version i've removed the background image - you'll need to reinstate it, if you like, within the HTML as described recently.

There's an extra page as well called AndysButton which you may be interested in. If you save it in the same folder as GoSearch10.html and add it as a Bookmark on your toolbar, when you click it you can type a domain (or Ctrl-V paste!) and the search page will open with this domain automatically added. You can then press the Back button to return to your previous page.
go_search10.png
(Sorry Hans, i couldn't help improving it!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hints:

Keep your exclude list to a reasonable size. The cookie that stores them has a limit of 4k (which includes the name (title), value (domain) and expiration date, etc.). But the Google search box probably has a limit to it's characters anyway.

Use short/succinct titles and try to avoid odd characters, especially = ; , although they are saved encoded so they should still work.

Don't use name, value, expires, path or domain as the web site address or title! But why would you? I could add these checks to the code but I won't do that just now. Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Andy! You have done much more than any of us expected when Chris started this thread just over a week ago.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

It occurs to me... :evilgrin:
that if someone enabled clipboard access in Firefox then they could highlight a web address, press Ctrl-C, click my button and the address would automatically be added to the exclude list and I could immediately return them to their page. But that's a step too far! It's a bad idea to enable access to the clipboard. Strangely, IE enables it by default.
Andy.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote: ... when Chris started this thread just over a week ago.
Oh Sure. Blame me. Again. :grin:
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Isn't everything your fault - always? :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

agibsonsw wrote:It occurs to me... :evilgrin: that if someone enabled clipboard access in Firefox then they could highlight a web address, press Ctrl-C, click my button and the address would automatically be added to the exclude list and I could immediately return them to their page. But that's a step too far! It's a bad idea to enable access to the clipboard. Strangely, IE enables it by default. Andy.
Andy, I know I'm labouring this point, but I am confused.
In this post I learned "If you select text and then press the bookmark it should search for that text".
Now we know that at one stage it was possible/allowable for us to select text, click your button, and get instant search results sans specific sites.
I gather that we can't do this in the later versions (e.g.9).
Is this because the underlying code in the first version is different from versions 2+?
Or are some of us (i.e. Me!) confused about what can be selected and when it has an effect?

I was so impressed back then that I could be at a web page - be it a list of search results or a page obtained by clicking on a link, spot a handy search phrase, select it and then click a button.

In all this time (one week) I've been using the same version of FF and haven't changed any settings AFAIK.

And you know I'm not complaining. I am just confused. :hugs:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Isn't everything your fault - always? :evilgrin:
Strangely, only since I met my mother 64+ years ago!

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I've got to go to work soon.. but..

With this second version of the button you can click it, type the web address to exclude and be immediately returned to your previous page.

SORTED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Chris: my web page won't work if you just select text. This is not possible. You'll have to copy and paste it. Sorry.

The (much) earlier Bookmarklet was just a quick search option (with an excluded site or two). It doesn't have the full functionality of GoSearch10.html.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Press my button 2 and type (or paste) the web address
go_search11.png
.. and be returned immediately to the page you were on.

Later, open my search page and hey presto!
go_search12.png
and the money should start rolling in :laugh:

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Andy's button 2 won't work in IE by default. You'll need to change a Security setting but I haven't found the right one yet.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I moved a reply by Sundog and subsequent posts to a separate thread: Utility to block websites.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Andy,

You are a Prince among mere men!!

:thankyou: is inadequate to express my gratitude.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers: :chocciebar:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks again Bob. Cheers!

It occurred to me (as I stepped onto a train)..
If you use Andy's Button to add a site and then refresh the GoSearch page, then the site will be added again because it's still in the URL address.
Or, if you use Andy's Button 2 it won't prevent you adding a site which is already in the exclude list - although you can later delete it based on it's title.

These are minor 'things' and I can fix them easily, when I get a chance.

I don't need debugging tools or code editors - they just slow me down :grin:

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Imagine that you have accomplished all this while "training" lol hehehe!
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I think he's been wearing 'trainers' at the pace of this development!

OKAY!

I think I must have zigged when everyone else zagged.

Back when this all started, I distinctly remember a post that said that, when invoked, the page where the magic happens would open in a new window or tab. I think that was before it became html, while it was still a bookmarklet (I think). Somewhere that must have changed because my implementation of v10 zip opens in the tab in which I invoke androogle by clicking on the bookmark bar icon.

What am I missing?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi.

GoSearch10 is just a Bookmark (or Favorite) link. Whether it opens in a new tab or window is a setting of your browser.

The original little Bookmarklet, which performed a Google seach with a site excluded, I amended to open a new tab (as I recall).

Andy.