Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Update: Firefox 120.0 Released

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Untitled.png
Hans, I've never understood the thinking behind browser releases.
For some days/weeks now I've had the little nag screen from Firefox "Updates are available" or similar.
Firefox has released version 120.

I am at 115.THREE.1
This browser suggests that I update to 115.FIVE.0.

But to my mind, an update to 115.5.0 falls way short of the 120.0.? that is supposedly available.

Thanks in Advance for any explanation from you. And no, :grin: I don't expect you to be the apologist for Firefox!
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
01 Dec 2023, 13:47
...But to my mind, an update to 115.5.0 falls way short of the 120.0.? that is supposedly available...
115.5.0 is short of 120.0.0 but look at the screen shot you posted, where it says:
    you are currently on the esr update channel

'esr' means 'extended support release', and that means it runs behind normal release cycle, see here:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ch ... te-channel

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
01 Dec 2023, 14:08
'esr' means 'extended support release', and that means it runs behind normal release cycle, see here:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ch ... te-channel
Thank you Ken.
I don't recall asking for any specific strain of Firefox, but given my conservative nature, I am probably happier on a 42-week update cycle than on the Greyhound Express.
If I have read those ESR pages correctly, I may as well set Automatic Updates to receive security fixes, then go through an earth-rattling change every nine months or so.

I rather wish other applications (and at least one O/S) would adopts a two-speed update train.
Cheers, Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

When I was working, we used Firefox on the esr channel, but I worked for a large organisation where the IT people were managing hundreds of PCs / laptops so they needed to be able control the rate of updates to avoid everything grinding to a halt if every machine tried to update every few weeks.

At home though, I've always been on the normal channel with FF set to update automatically. It does that painlessly by downloading updates silently in the background and then applying the changes the next time FF is restarted. I've never felt like I'm on an update express train. I've never had any problems with FF updates.

I know you are very wary of auto-updating of any kind but I do think you are being like King Canute and trying to stop the tide coming in making things harder than they need to be by not letting FF auto-update on the regular channel.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
02 Dec 2023, 10:41
... painlessly by downloading updates silently in the background and then applying the changes the next time FF is restarted. I've never felt like I'm on an update express train.
Hi Ken. I agree that a single-user household is different from a large (1,000+?) station international enterprise, and thanks for noting that difference. Size works both ways. That I am smaller means that I can more quickly adapt, but as well it means that I have no IT staff to support me; all the daily support comes out of my 24-hour allotment!

Quite so. But in the past I have been burned by major changes (e.g. different versions of MSWord/VBA) and minor changes (most notably in MSWindows supporting DLLs, I think). The most dangerous "silent update" for me is mostly through the user interface where some application changes the keystrokes for commands and my finger tips follow the hard-wired-brain path of yore and take me to new exotic places!
I know you are very wary of auto-updating of any kind but I do think you are being like King Canute and trying to stop the tide coming in making things harder than they need to be by not letting FF auto-update on the regular channel.
You are quite right. Stable Platforms was hammered into me so long ago that I doubt it will leave me. Hardware engineers and up have made that point clear. In my first days I carried the FORTRAN II compiler (2,000 punched cards) with me in my briefcase because some nights when I arrived at the computing centre I couldn't find the compiler. Carrying my own copy happened to make it a stable platform!

Over many years of consulting to industry I remain of the opinion that 90% of hired workers and 100% of all grandparents with nephews in New Zealand, could get by with Word 2.0 as an upgraded typewriter.

Cheers, Chris