What is best firefox add on for...

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

What is best firefox add on for...

Post by Dave Davison »

I find the You Tube downloader that I have installed dead easy to use with You Tube stuff but occasionally see a Google video that I would like to download too. A knowledgeable friend suggested looking for a Firefox add-on that will capture almost any format but a search shows no less than 12 pages of options. The attachment shows the first four but it would be much appreciated if one of you experts could advise me which one you think is the best as the multiplicity of options only seems to complicate it for me seeing I don't know how one may be more superior than another. Many thanks Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: What is best firefox add on for...

Post by HansV »

I'd take the first one (Video DownloadHelper). The next ones serve slightly different purposes.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

As ever...a thousand thanks Hans for your immediate expert advice... Cheers Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I have the first one (DownloadHelper) installed on my FF set-up. Only use it rarely but it does the job.

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I also remember (I think) that we discussed the Download Helper addon some time ago. I too have it installed but only use it on occasion.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

hi Hans......if I may be allowed to revive this thread, since I upgraded my computer [see screen shot for details] the first option you suggested was lost so I just downloaded it tonight -but to my dismay - when I try to install it I get the message shown. Seeing this computer is somewhat superior to my last one which presented no problem when I tried to install the said prog, I find the message rather irksome. What does the message suggest and is it possible to get round this hurdle please. :scratch: :scratch: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try another extension, such as Download Flash and Video or 1-Click YouTube Video Download.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

many thanks Hans will try those links....THANK YOU LOADS Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Did you get Video Downloadhelper from the source site, i.e. here?:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... oadhelper/

In which case the problem might be with your version of Firefox rather than any other aspect of you system. I suggest this because a couple of recent reviews imply there are problems with this addon and FF 28 (& 29). Plus I still have it on my ancient Pentium 4 XP machine, which is well below the spec. of your hardware.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi Ken...I tried the first link Hans suggested and Avira pinged it up as containing a virus so I delete it immediately. The one I have used forever had three intersecting colored balls rotating in the toolbar which was ideal but seems I will have to use something else, pity I lost it when I upgraded my computer. Maybe I'll try the link you gave. Thanks Dave.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.....update. I downloaded the FF Add on "Downloadhelper" from the link you gave Ken but there are obviously gremlins at work as the icon in the top right hand corner [see below] has no colors and fails to rotate as it used to do when a video is being played. Back to the drawing board it seems. Thanks. Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Try this then:
In Firefox click Tools | Add-ons
You should get a list of all the add-ons currently installed'
At the right hand end of the line for Video Downloadhelper, is there an 'Enable' button?
If so, click it.

If that doesn't help, there should be at least an option to 'Remove' the add-on do that.
Then restart Firefox
Once again click Tools | Add-ons
Now use the search box in the top right to search for Video Downloadhelper and install it that way.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.......thanks Ken will follow those tips & see what hapens........cheers Dave