Firefox eats C drive disk space.... (was: Why use a RAM disk?)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Firefox eats C drive disk space.... (was: Why use a RAM disk?)

Post by stuck »

DocAElstein wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 12:24
..Just have not got around to tidying up all my disk space and memory...
:stop: You can't tidy up RAM, Windows manages that.

You can tidy up disk storage space. The quickest thing you can do that will have a big impact is to copy everything in your C: drive data folders, i.e 'My Documents', 'My Pictures', 'My Music', 'My Videos', etc. onto your external HDD. Once you are sure and only once you are sure, that the copy is successful, go back to your C: drive and delete everything in your C: drive data folders and then empty the recycle bin.

Thereafter:
1) You can reorganise the data files on your external HDD to your hearts content.
2) Only ever save stuff to your C: drive data folders as a temporary measure, make a habit of moving stuff to your external HDD as soon as possible.

Ken

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

stuck wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 12:39
:stop: You can't tidy up RAM, Windows manages that.
You can tidy up disk storage space.
Thx , I was probably meaning tidying up the badly organised disk space storage, just me not quite getting the terminology right yet again…
I almost always saved everything temporarily on the desktop, before somewhere else on the C: drive, and I believe that is something slightly worse again. Whether on the C: drive or somewhere else on it like on the desktop, its all the same or similar, I believe. But someone told me a while ago that storing stuff on the desktop is slightly worse than somewhere else on the C:drive..
Just for fun – I just took a look at what is stored on my desktop on my main machine…

Save Your Desktop.JPG
Wotcha think? - Pretty good , eh? :-)
127 is a nice number. It brings back a lot of memories of a different sort for me, being half an inch or so, it figured a lot in my past

Oops, Edit.... I got the wrong one.... here is just the desktop

Save Your Desktop.JPG
Only 114GB on the desktop !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

DocAElstein wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 12:53
...just me not quite getting the terminology right yet again…
If you are serious about creating tutorials, it is vital you get your terminology correct.
DocAElstein wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 12:53
...I almost always saved everything temporarily on the desktop, before somewhere else on the C: drive...
Your Desktop is just another folder on your C: drive. By all means use it as a temporary dumping ground but move the files to a permanent home on your external HDD.

Ken

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

stuck wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 13:03
..If you are serious about creating tutorials, it is vital you get your terminology correct.
I am hoping to make them amusing and entertaining enough to help detract a bit from my Short(s) comings…
My main goal is to help save the world from the artificial stuff taking over and destroying us. A bit of naked rawness and imperfection may help. That’s the way we Human's are, if we weren’t, Chris would have used the term virtual RAM drive or software RAM drive, and all this fun would have been missed…
(BTW, as you are a Panoramic Lounger, Ken, - Graeme is a Cosmic one, why can’t I be a Naked one?)
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DocAElstein wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 12:43
... It was fine when I last used it. When I went to use it yesterday I had an almost full C drive , ...
Alan, grab a copy of SpaceSniffer
Untitled.png
This is my T: drive, my encrypted data partition.
I am ashamed to confess that the bulk of my data is photographs, audio-books, and music tracks. (encircled in Yellow by me!)
That is, I am no longer a computer programmer as I frequently claim to be, but have an entertainment centre on my desk.
Oh how the mighty have fallen!

SpaceSniffer gives one a fast eye-ball at where the disk storage is gone. I still have 50+ GB begging for more music tracks, but if I needed more space, SpaceSniffer tells me that I might want to archive some of my "fun-stuff".

Knowing that I am running out of disk space does not help me at all, but knowing why I am running out of disk space gives me direction towards a solution.
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Firefox eats C drive (was: Why use a RAM disk?)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 12:04
I'll be amazed if anyone on Planet Earth apart from Chris still uses one.
Thank you for this commendation, Ken! :blush:
NB this volatility is a benefit to Chris because he uses a RAM drive to hold his Firefox cache meaning it is automatically cleared at the end of the day when he powers down his machine. There are other ways to achieve the same effect these days without the use of a RAM drive but if you go back to the thread where this all started you'll see that Chris has another good reason to continue using a RAM drive.
Spot on. I have another use for a RAM disk, and it is based on probability.
I took a PrtScr of my SpaceSniffer run (preceding post) and saved it after pasting into MSPaint. I saved it to RAM disk so that (a) I could easily see the size (<255KB) and (b) I had a copy stashed away in case I messed up editing the yellow lines.
I say "probability" because there is a chance that my image will be lost if the system crashes before I post the image, but I can easily recreate the image by running SpaceSniffer (for two minutes?) and taking another PrtScr snapshot.
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle