measure distance feature in bing maps not working

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

measure distance feature in bing maps not working

Post by stuck »

Although I'm posting this on the FF board I see the same thing in IE and Edge.

In the UK one of the views available in Bing Maps is OS maps. That coupled with the 'measure distance' is great for planning out a walk. Find the area of interest, choose OS, zoom in until the zoom is close enough for the OS view to kick in. Right click where you want to start, choose measure distance and then click along the path you want to follow. Until recently every time you clicked a dot would be placed on the map and so the route would be drawn on the map.

Now though the route is not drawn on the map BUT if you keep on clicking you can see from the slide out panel on the left that the distance is being measured and when you're finished if you click on the 'close shape' option in that panel the path you traced does appear.

As I said at the start, it's not just Bing Maps in FF that are failing like this, this feature no longer works in IE or Edge either. It also seems to be OS independent too as it doesn't work on either my desktop Win 10 1809 or my netbook Win 7 Starter Ed.

Can any one else recreate this issue?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: measure distance feature in bing maps not working

Post by HansV »

Same here, in all browsers (including Google Chrome too), on Windows 10 Home 1903.

(I had to change my location to United Kingdom, otherwise Bing Maps wouldn't list Ordnance Survey as option)
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I bought all the OS 1:25,000 maps with Anquet Outdoor Map Navigator a few years ago, and I do something very similar using their desktop app.

I just tried this in Bing Maps, and the line is not shown on the map, until I double click to finish, then the entire route appears as a black line
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

OK, so it's not just me and given that it not browser or OS dependant (stuckling2's Win 7 HP laptop also no longer draws a line) it's an 'improvement' introduced by Bing Maps.

I suppose we can live in hope that this 'improvement' is further refined such that the line is once again visible as you draw it but I won't be holding my breath.

Thanks,

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Another Verschlimmbesserung from a big software company.
StuartR