Spell checker

weese237
2StarLounger

Spell checker

Post by weese237 »

Does anyone use a spell checker while in Firefox? I've gotten very bad and need help! :laugh:

Thanks!
Louise     :smile:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Spell checker

Post by viking33 »

weese237 wrote:Does anyone use a spell checker while in Firefox? I've gotten very bad and need help! :laugh:

Thanks!
I have used the default spell checker in Firefox for a long time, use it to check as I type, thankfully! In Options>Advanced you will see the options I use.
Spell.JPG
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Hi Bob,

Mine doesn't look like that! I like yours! Mine looks like just another webpage. :laugh: How did you get that?

I had everything checked off except "Search for text when I start typing." so I did that as well.
I guess I was hoping for something that automatically corrected your mistakes as you type. Probably doesn't exist..

Now I just typed all this text and I saw the red underline on the words I had mis-spelled. Where does the "search......" come in?

Thanks

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Bob uses a special theme for Firefox.

The built-in spell checker merely checks words and underlines misspelled ones. It does not automatically correct them.

The option "Search for text when I am typing" has nothing to do with spell checking. If ticked, it will let you search for text on the current web page simply by typing (while you're not in a text box). If the text you type is found on the page, it will be highlighted.
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Louise, what version of Firefox are you using?
RR.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Thanks Hans for the explanation. :smile: I didn't know that it could be themed to that extent. Will have to check that out.

Roderunner, I'm using the same as yours except 64-bit.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

weese237 wrote:Hi Bob,

Mine doesn't look like that! I like yours! Mine looks like just another webpage. :laugh: How did you get that?

I had everything checked off except "Search for text when I start typing." so I did that as well.
I guess I was hoping for something that automatically corrected your mistakes as you type. Probably doesn't exist..

Now I just typed all this text and I saw the red underline on the words I had mis-spelled. Where does the "search......" come in?

Thanks
I have used that theme in Firefox for some time now. I find it a lot easier on the eyes than the glaring white background. The same reason I use Rainbow Pearl here in the Lounge.
Go to Tools>add-ons>appearance>get add ons. Look for the theme Walnut 2 for Firefox
Walnut2.JPG
BOB

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Hi Bob,
Thanks! I went to add-ons and found plain "walnut" (no 2). Looks like yours though. Installed it. Looks nice except for the fonts aren't dark enough for my old eyes. :smile: I looked at options again and I got the white website look again.
I'll keep trying.

Thanks again!

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

weese237 wrote:Mine doesn't look like that!
I believe Viking33 uses Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release, based on Firefox v52, although ESR v60 is now available). It's not surprising your view is different. Not only does Bob use the Walnut theme, but the ESR 52 options display is very different from the Firefox 60 options screens. Like you, I use Firefox 60.0.1 x64 but with the built-in Dark theme. I find it very easy on the eyes.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the explanation. Where do I find your built-in Dark theme? I think that would be good for me. I go to themes and it seems to go out to the internet? To beautiful bright (mostly) themes.

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Found it! Thanks! :clapping:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

weese237 wrote:Hi Bob,
Thanks! I went to add-ons and found plain "walnut" (no 2). Looks like yours though. Installed it. Looks nice except for the fonts aren't dark enough for my old eyes. :smile: I looked at options again and I got the white website look again.
I'll keep trying.

Thanks again!
Walnut 2 theme is available at this LOCATION

[Paul. I'm still using ESR ver.52.8.0 32 bit] Maybe ver 80 is 64 bit? but it doesn't offer it from within Fx?
BOB

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Bob, you can download ESR 60 here.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.