Can't run video on this website

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Can't run video on this website

Post by viking33 »

I've been trying to look at this video about training shelter dogs for K-9 work but all I can get is the initial screen which is black and there is a run icon which changes to pause but NO video?
URL is: https://shelterme.tv/episodes/episode-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does anyone have an idea or can you rub it successfully?
shelterme.JPG
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Can't run video on this website

Post by Argus »

It works here, sort of (no controls for the video, though, apart from play/pause & fullscreen toggle). But I didn't watch more than 60 s.
Since I'm using NoScript I notice that it's using Vimeo scripts, i.e. I'll need to allow vimeo.com and vimeocdn.com (but they already were).

So, if you are using NoScript that's one possibility.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The video runs for me in Internet Explorer and Edge, but in Firefox I get the same as viking33, even if I trust everything in NoScript.
Best wishes,
Hans

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

It works in Oz with Chrome, only control is full screen (bottom right) and stop/restart by (clicking the video)
Cheers, Claude.

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

Works for me in Chrome, Edge and Firefox. As Argus noted, there are only a few controls, but the video plays without problems.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Looks like it has a dislike for FireFox? Any other Fx users that can't run it either? ( I don't use NoScript ) I AM using the ESR version of Fx, if that might have something to do with it. Second thought... I'm sure Hans is using the latest standard version though. Hmmm!
John says it works for him in Fx?
BOB

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, my Firefox is up-to-date.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hmmm. It now plays in Firefox too, but I have to click the play/pause button several times (I have turned off autoplay, but I have to click more often with this site). See what happens if you click the play/pause button a few times.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

As I mentioned, it works for me in Fx (and since we're in that sub forum I didn't try any other browser (on the other hand, I haven't used or configured IE since the OS was installed, so would not do it anyway), but to get the correct page layout/video format I need to enable shelterme.tv as well. But since you are not using NoScript, they (the scripts) should be running.
HansV wrote:Hmmm. It now plays in Firefox too, but I have to click the play/pause button several times (I have turned off autoplay, but I have to click more often with this site). See what happens if you click the play/pause button a few times.
Yeah, after some minor tweaking during the years they can come back and bite you/me/us, or introduce new levels of frustration. :grin: We might see different results. As we saw in the thread about Autoplay, there might be some minor drawbacks (and here it seems to be an embedded Vimeo player). At the moment I haven't disabled autoplay (I think).

Apparently they have set some privacy settings or similar, with the video embedded, running with some API for Vimeo player, it seems (the URL can be seen with Firefox Inspector).

That said, to me it's as far as possible from Vimeo or similar when there are no controls for sound and search bar. :groan:
(One of the more annoying players I've seen is another one; every time you pause a video it resets the sound to 100 % ... Here, so far, there are no controls at all, and no search bar so you will have no idea how long the video is. :gramps: :granny: )
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

It sure looks like Fx is the culprit. I used IE and it worked just fine.
Firefox?????
It would be interesting to find out just WHY it doesn't work.
BOB

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Your link works for me using Firefox 60.0 x64 and the previous 59.x version. Definitely a strange video as mentioned in other posts above. It also works in MS Edge.

Have you tried some of the other videos on that page (Jon Hamm, cop car)?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Is this 'video won't play in Firefox' thing another example of what I discovered in the thread about preventing websites from automatically playing videos? When I have Firefox's media.autoplay.enabled set to false then Vimeo videos will not play. The page loads all right but nothing will make the video start but once I change media.autoplay.enabled back to true everything is OK.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It is probably related.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

stuck wrote:When I have Firefox's media.autoplay.enabled set to false then Vimeo videos will not play. The page loads all right but nothing will make the video start but once I change media.autoplay.enabled back to true everything is OK.
Ken
That's strange Ken. When my "media.autoplay.enabled" is set to false, clicking on the Play icon changes to the Pause icon. I then click on Pause and the icon changes to Play. When I then click on Play, the video plays without problems (similar to what Hans reported in one of his posts). :igiveup:
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

stuck wrote:Is this 'video won't play in Firefox' thing another example of what I discovered in the thread about preventing websites from automatically playing videos? When I have Firefox's media.autoplay.enabled set to false then Vimeo videos will not play. The page loads all right but nothing will make the video start but once I change media.autoplay.enabled back to true everything is OK.

Ken
That seems to have worked in the ESR version too. Changing the autoplay to true
( and it was false ) started the video on the first click of Play button. :thankyou:
BOB