I'm Probably Wrong, but I THINK this is a Firefox Issue

BobH
UraniumLounger

I'm Probably Wrong, but I THINK this is a Firefox Issue

Post by BobH »

I've found that several websites - including Eileen's Lounge - log me out when I close the tab they had been opened in and after the passage of time requiring me to log in again when I return to these tabs or open the websites again during the same browser session. This behavior started coincident with the upgrade to Quantum or with the last update to Quantum, I think. Whether to related to Quantum or not, this behavior is of recent origin.

I've been through the Firefox Options pages and can find nothing that seems to reference or control the issue of session length or automatic dropping of authentication information previously entered. Somewhere in the dim, dark recesses of my diminishing consciousness lingers a recollection that pre-Quantum, Firefox had an option that affected logins. Does anyone know if this is still so? If it is, what is it? Where do I find it? How do I set it to prevent these logoffs? They happen regardless of choosing the 'keep me logged in' or 'remember me' options because I've checked them and still get logged off and/or am required to login again to these sites.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:

Is it possible that something other than Firefox is the culprit? If so, what?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: I'm Probably Wrong, but I THINK this is a Firefox Issue

Post by HansV »

Do you run a "cleaner" utility such as CCleaner, or a cookie manager? If so, make sure that you set it NOT to remove cookies for Eileen's Lounge and other sites where you want to remain logged in. For example in CCleaner, click Options, then Cookies:
S1976.png
In Firefox, select Tools > Options... or click the "hamburger" button and select Options.
Select Privacy & Security on the left.
Under History, make sure that 'Accept cookies from websites' is ticked, and that 'Keep until' is set to 'they expire', not 'I close Firefox'.
S1977.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

More Strange Behavior In Firefox Quantum

Post by BobH »

To follow up on my post about having login problems and automatic logout problems with Firefox Quantum...

I checked the Tools>Options>Privacy and Security settings as Hans suggested and found this ...
fxpvcnsecopt.GIF
I still find when returning to my system after dinner that I am logged out of Eileen's Lounge and several other web sites, however there is a new wrinkle. After clicking the Login button, entering my userid, copying my password from KeyPass, pasting it into the password panel and hitting enter, I am logged in; but upon clicking on a book mark containing http://eileenslounge.com/search.php?search_id=newposts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I am returned to the login screen. On another web site, I'm presented the login screen; but after entering my userid and copying my password form Keypass and pasting it in the appropriate panel, and hitting enter, I get no response.

I checked CCleaner cookies and found that I have none whitelisted. I could not find there any references to the Eileen's Lounge cookies or cookies for the other web sites I'm having trouble with even though they were open when I checked CCleaner. That is, I think, another indicator that the Fx Quantum (57.0.2) options are not behaving properly.

Can anyone suggest other diagnostics?
:xsad: :chocciebar: :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You have ticked the check box "Always use private browsing mode". As a consequence, ALL cookies will be removed when the session ends. Since Eileen's Lounge and other sites use cookies to store your logged-in status, you are automatically logged out when you close the browser window.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Hans!

I've unticked that box. We shall see how things progress. I think I get closer to the trees - or more lost in the forest - as I get older. :xsad:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)