Update: Firefox 57.0 (Quantum) released

HansV
Administrator

Re: Update: Firefox 57.0 (Quantum) released

Post by HansV »

NoScript 10.1.1 has been released; it is compatible with Firefox 57 (Quantum).
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX. :thumbup:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Well, this didn't start off on the right foot. :grin:
:cranky:
I'm not surprised by the look, flat and pale is en vogue (and we saw a change in the library in an earlier version); a contrast to the even brighter Firefox icon

First start: the cursor seems to be slow to update inside the browser window, when moving in and out of window, or it's something else going on. (There was also something more disturbing, since it started a software we use as authentication when accessing certain sites, need to check that.)
20171121_A.PNG
The NoScript UI needs a bit of tweaking ... but I understand that the developer is working hard and that it is a work in progress; I think I saw somewhere on his blog that he's waiting on some APIs from Mozilla. There seems to be no access to the settings via context pop-up (right-click or similar), and there is no access to settings in private browsing mode ...
20171121_B.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Giorgio Maone, the developer, had warned in advance that NoScript as a WebExtension will be less powerful than the old version, especially initially.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Yes, I've seen comments like that. Thankful for his work, and there's also v 5.x for Fx ESR.
On a positive note, since all old permissions are there after the upgrade, there is less need to tweak the settings.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Minor update: Firefox 57.0.1 was released on the 29th of November.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Has anyone noticed slower navigation between tabs in Firefox 57.x? I.e. by using Ctrl-Tab, Ctrl-PageUp/PageDown (or simply clicking around on different tabs). In earlier versions the tabs would fly by. Quicker rendering of web pages, among other things, is great but the browser can at times be a bit sluggish. (Changes on different sites could perhaps also have this effect; but doesn't seem likely.) Maybe I should do some tests with the settings for performance (processes) (introduced in some version earlier, I think).

As mentioned in the release notes (for v. 57) it shuts down video decoding when you shift to another tab, or when the video isn't visible (audio isn't affected). I wonder if there is a setting to change this behaviour. Haven't found any. It can take some time for the browser to resume video decoding, and above all, with earlier version there were no problems navigating between tabs even if one of them was running a video stream.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BTW, Firefox 57.0.2 was released 7th December.
(But nowadays I guess it's difficult to miss an update.)

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Has anyone noticed the short 'advertising frame' which occasionally appears at the bottom of the Firefox window, and needs clicking on X at its top right to remove it?

I can't find a setting to prevent it being displayed in the first place!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Argus wrote:Has anyone noticed slower navigation between tabs in Firefox 57.x? I.e. by using Ctrl-Tab, Ctrl-PageUp/PageDown (or simply clicking around on different tabs)
I haven't - navigation between tabs is instantaneous.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

John Gray wrote:Has anyone noticed the short 'advertising frame' which occasionally appears at the bottom of the Firefox window, and needs clicking on X at its top right to remove it?
I've never seen that. Could an unwanted add-on have been installed with other software?
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

John Gray wrote:Has anyone noticed the short 'advertising frame' which occasionally appears at the bottom of the Firefox window, and needs clicking on X at its top right to remove it?
No but I'm using uBlock Origin to block ads and there's not much that gets past that.

Ken

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

stuck wrote:
No but I'm using uBlock Origin to block ads and there's not much that gets past that.
Me too, plus Ghostery.

That's why I'm puzzled...

Later... I may have tied it down to my occasional looking at one or other Instagram link...

Even later...
No, that's not it. here's what I got in a New Tab...
Firefox advt.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John Gray on 09 Dec 2017, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
John Gray

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

HansV wrote:
Argus wrote:Has anyone noticed slower navigation between tabs in Firefox 57.x? I.e. by using Ctrl-Tab, Ctrl-PageUp/PageDown (or simply clicking around on different tabs)
I haven't - navigation between tabs is instantaneous.
OK.

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

This add-on may be of interest to some as a replacement for NoScript.

I have tried the new NoScript and don't like it. I now use ScriptSafe, it's only just been ported to Firefox but has been on Chrome for a long time. I find it more user friendly and think it has a better user interface than NoScript.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ript-safe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, I will give it a try.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I can't find a setting to prevent it being displayed in the first place!
John Gray wrote:
stuck wrote:
Me too, plus Ghostery.

That's why I'm puzzled...

Later... I may have tied it down to my occasional looking at one or other Instagram link...

Even later...
No, that's not it. here's what I got in a New Tab...
John,
What do you see if you click on the cogwheel on a new tab in Firefox? They have added a new setting there.
2017-12-09_A.PNG
2017-12-09_B.PNG

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Ah - you have it! :clapping: Well done! :fanfare:
My lowest option says:
Snippets
Read short and sweet updates from Mozilla about Firefox, internet culture, and the occasional random meme.
John Gray

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

You are welcome. :smile:
(I usually take a walk around the settings in the UI when there are new major versions.)
(BTW, the new "highlights" via icon (recent history) and, if enabled, in new tabs ... I find it really silly. If not browsing in private mode, then everything is a highlight [For example: An especially significant or interesting detail or event.]. Sigh.)

Now, if anyone would like to take a look at my problem (mentioned above), please. :grin:
Is there a setting (in about:config) to have video decoding enabled all the time.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

TonyE wrote:This add-on may be of interest to some as a replacement for NoScript.

I have tried the new NoScript and don't like it. I now use ScriptSafe, it's only just been ported to Firefox but has been on Chrome for a long time. I find it more user friendly and think it has a better user interface than NoScript.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ript-safe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Tony - a much, much nicer interface! :thumbup:
Leif