Firefox 3.6.6

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Firefox 3.6.6

Post by Gloria E »

I was notified that a new version was available (3.6.6), I installed it but I found a few things I don't like. For one thing I found it slow opening links and when advised to update Adobe Flash Player I found this notice: "If windows asks to allow FPlayer to make changes to your computer, click Yes." :groan:

What kind of changes would I be giving to Flash Payer? I don't think that's a good idea, to let a player make changes to my computer, blindly, without knowing what I'm giving it permission to do. :sad:

I think I want to go back to the previous version, if it continues to be slower than usual. If I decide to roll back Firefox, how can I do it? Perhaps removing it and reinstalling 3.6.5 would be a better choice. Is there a webpage for installing the previous version?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Firefox 3.6.6

Post by HansV »

Perhaps you should check first whether you have add-ins/extensions that conflict with 3.6.6. I don't notice slowness in loading links.

The question about Adobe Flash player is standard and nothing to worry about. It needs to change some registry settings to let you view flash content (such as YouTube videos) within your browser.

There has been no Firefox 3.6.5, at least not a public release. You can get 3.6.4 and earlier versions from Download Firefox 3.6.4 - FileHippo.com (see the right-hand pane for earlier versions).
Best wishes,
Hans

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

For info, Firefox 3.6.4 and 3.6.6 are essentially the same. There are no code changes between the 2 versions, the only difference is a default value for a hidden setting was changed to help solve issues with some complex Flash sites.
Tony

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

TonyE wrote:For info, Firefox 3.6.4 and 3.6.6 are essentially the same. There are no code changes between the 2 versions, the only difference is a default value for a hidden setting was changed to help solve issues with some complex Flash sites.
Version 3.6.6. was called a security update only. I installed it and did not notice any degradation of speed.

To get the latest, go to: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3. ... easenotes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

viking33 wrote:I installed it and did not notice any degradation of speed.
Ditto
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Perhaps you should check first whether you have add-ins/extensions that conflict with 3.6.6. I don't notice slowness in loading links.

The question about Adobe Flash player is standard and nothing to worry about. It needs to change some registry settings to let you view flash content (such as YouTube videos) within your browser.

There has been no Firefox 3.6.5, at least not a public release. You can get 3.6.4 and earlier versions from Download Firefox 3.6.4 - FileHippo.com (see the right-hand pane for earlier versions).
I decided not to jump the gun and give the browser a change. Sure glad I did, it's running pretty good today. I will keep in mind where to get the earlier version in case Firefox decides to act up again.

I think it would be a good idea to let users know what's contained in a new version, don't you?
Years ago that's one of the reasons I dumped AOL (besides others).
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:
TonyE wrote:For info, Firefox 3.6.4 and 3.6.6 are essentially the same. There are no code changes between the 2 versions, the only difference is a default value for a hidden setting was changed to help solve issues with some complex Flash sites.
Version 3.6.6. was called a security update only. I installed it and did not notice any degradation of speed.

To get the latest, go to: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3. ... easenotes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you Viking & Tony for the information. I've decided to keep the latest version as long as it behaves itself.