Saved logins deleted accidently

mipendance
StarLounger

Saved logins deleted accidently

Post by mipendance »

Okay, really messed up. Clicked wrong Remove button from Security/Show Logins -- and all gone. Fortunately I do have paper copy of login info, but is there a way to restore them to Firefox (47)? I've done some searching on the 'Net, but when I go to Help/Troubleshooting info, and Profile Folder/Show Folder, I'm lost.

Some really, really low techie info would be appreciated. Many thanks

(Most of them are on Pale Moon, so lacking a way to restore them from Firefox, is there a way to import the info from PM?)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Saved logins deleted accidently

Post by stuck »

According to the What information is stored in my profile? section of this article:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... -user-data
the crucial files you've occidentally deleted are the key3.db and logins.json files. To undelete them you'll need two things:
one a bit of luck that the sectors they occupy have not been overwritten
two, Piriform's Recuva. Download the portable version of Recuva to a USB stick from here https://www.piriform.com/recuva/builds If you don't do that an simply download the full installer to your HDD and then install it it is possible that the 'empty' bit of your HDD that's used for this operation is the very bit that holds the files you've deleted.

Once you've got Recuva open it and use it to scan your Firefox profiles folder (the article I link to tells you where that is). If the key3.db and logins.json files have not been overwritten Recuva will find them and allow you to get them back.

Good luck!

Ken

mipendance
StarLounger

Re: Saved logins deleted accidently

Post by mipendance »

Once you've got Recuva open it and use it to scan your Firefox profiles folder (the article I link to tells you where that is). If the key3.db and logins.json files have not been overwritten Recuva will find them and allow you to get them back.

Ken - thank you for posting. When I have Recuva open, I can't figure out where to indicate the profiles folder (it's the default one).

At this point I've so messed up I can't even get out of Recuva's advanced window. And, when I try to try in Search box, a red 'x' comes up....Think I'll just "remember me" on all my sites requesing passwords. I thank you again.