2 Step Verification for Microsoft Accounts

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

2 Step Verification for Microsoft Accounts

Post by hlewton »

2 Step Verification

I just read about 2 step verification in Office For Mere Mortals. Not knowing anything about it I read the entire article trying to get answers to some of my questions. It warns ahead of time that it is a lengthy and frustrating process which I question why Microsoft would make it that hard. Anyway my question that I did not see an answer to involves the check mark you can put telling Microsoft that you log into this account from this device often thus allowing you to by-pass the 2 step verification. When I log off the Internet by closing the browser (FF in most cases) I clear cookies and all history. Will Microsoft still be able to recognize my machines that I take the time to register even if the browser’s history and cookies are cleared? I know clicking remember me at other sites like Netflix does not work so wondering about this Microsoft Office 365 account.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: 2 Step Verification for Microsoft Accounts

Post by HansV »

I log in to the Microsoft forums such as Microsoft Community using my Microsoft Account, with 2-step verification.
On my home PC, I keep the cookies for those sites (I have set up CCleaner not to remove them), so I stay logged in until a glitch occurs (Microsoft is notoriously unreliable in this respect).
On my work PC, I regularly clear ALL cookies, and after that, I have to authenticate myself again on those sites.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: 2 Step Verification for Microsoft Accounts

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans. I was thinking it would be that way.
Regards,
hlewton