FireFox Not Ending Sessions When Closed Using Win 10

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

FireFox Not Ending Sessions When Closed Using Win 10

Post by hlewton »

I am really starting to hate Windows 10. I am now having a problem with FireFox since running Win 10 that I never had using Win 7. I noticed it at this site since I have been using it so much today. In the past when I closed out of FireFox it would automatically log me out of forums such as Eileen’s. This is how I have FF set so clear all cookies and history on exit. It is also not set to “Show my windows and tabs from last time” as seen in the link I will soon provide. Also I have followed the steps given telling how to use about:config and then browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to set it to false as it says to do but it still does not log me out of here. Even after I close out when I come back in I am still logged in. This never used to be the case and I am out of ideas how to make it work again? Here is the site I got the above from. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... acy-issues
Any ideas how I can get FireFox to log me out of site when I close it?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: FireFox Not Ending Sessions When Closed Using Win 10

Post by HansV »

The problem doesn't appear to be caused by either Windows 10 or Firefox: when I set Firefox to discard cookies when I close it, I have to log in the next time I start Firefox and visit Eileen's Lounge.
What are your settings in Tools > Options > Privacy?
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Is it possible that you have not managed to completely close all Firefox windows? Have a look in task manager to see if there is an instance of Firefox.exe and kill the process if you find one.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:The problem doesn't appear to be caused by either Windows 10 or Firefox: when I set Firefox to discard cookies when I close it, I have to log in the next time I start Firefox and visit Eileen's Lounge.
What are your settings in Tools > Options > Privacy?
I believe I have them set correctly. They have not changed since it was working correctly. I'll attach 2 screen shots so you can see.
Privacy.jpg
Privacy1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:Is it possible that you have not managed to completely close all Firefox windows? Have a look in task manager to see if there is an instance of Firefox.exe and kill the process if you find one.
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually did try this but unless somehow I missed it, I did not see any instance of FF running when I looked into task manager. It is different from Win 7's task manager so it is a possibility I didn't see it but I looked under both Apps and background processes.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK I just ran a quick test by signing into another forum I belong to that deals with PrintShop. I logged in, closed FF without logging out, and then reopened that same site. I was logged out and had to log in again. So it is even more confusing now if my problem is specific to Eileen's. Again, I have never had this problem in the past.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm sorry, I can't explain the behavior that you describe. Your settings should ensure that the Lounge cookie is deleted when you quit Firefox.

You could try setting "Keep until" to "I close Firefox".
S0896.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans. That setting was set at "Keep until expire." I changed it and will try it as soon as I post this. I hope it works.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I wish I could say that worked but it didn't. I guess I'll just have to remember to log out. I do have a related question. Isn't there a "time out" or something like that here that automatically logs you out after so long of inactivity? I ask because today I didn't close FF or log out at times but I never had to log back in even after extended periods of time had passed. I don't recall this ever happening either.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you do NOT tick the check box "Remember me" when you log in from the Lounge Portal (1), or "Log me in automatically each visit" when you log in from the Login page (2), you will be logged out automatically if you haven't been active for 1 hour. And you should be logged out when you quit the browser...
S0897.png
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks. I have never checked either of those boxes. Actually I can't say I ever saw them. I'll pay close attention the next time I have to sign in. Tomorrow I will fire up another computer and see if I have the same problem on it. It too was updated to Win 10 but I'll bet it doesn't act the same as this one. I rarely get things to be consistent from one computer to another even though I believe I set everything the same. I'll let you know tomorrow.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I just tested it and your #2 attachment is the only one I see so there is no way I could be telling it to keep me logged in.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm completely stumped. :shrug:
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

LOL well this will probably make it as clear as mud. I couldn't wait til tomorrow so I tested this out on that other computer. As I predicted it does not work the same. It works as it should and logs me out when closing FF.

The only thing that may or may not be of any help in solving this is on the other machine it completely froze up today while opening windows of different WEB sites. I managed to close FF but the mouse kept spinning and I eventually had to hold the power button in to shut the machine down. Actually this has happened twice to that machine since upgrading to Win 10. Could those incidents have cause some change in the Registry or anywhere else that may be fixable?
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Have you tried closing all apps then closing WIndows, then rebooting and trying to see if the problem remains?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobH wrote:Have you tried closing all apps then closing WIndows, then rebooting and trying to see if the problem remains?
I always close all apps before closing Windows so the short answer is yes. I tried both shutting down completely and rebooting. Neither seemed to do anything as far as solving the problem.

However, I just ran a "sfc /scannow" and apparently it found no problems. I then ran a "chkdsk /r." Have no idea what or if it found and/or repaired any problems on the disk. However, after it rebooted I have checked this problem by signing in here and closing down FF three times. Each time I had to log in again as I should have had to all along. Not sure if it is fixed but right now it is working so I can't try shutting down all apps again. Thanks for the suggestion.
Regards,
hlewton