Warning of tracking cookies

silverback
5StarLounger

Warning of tracking cookies

Post by silverback »

I ran HitmanPro yesterday and it flagged up 48 warnings of tracking cookies in a file cookies.sqlite in Mozilla profiles.

One of these cookies was doubleclick, a particular hate of mine - I didn't bother to check the rest.

I imported a zero length file into the folder, deleted cookies.sqlite and renamed the zero length file as cookies.sqlite
Firefox still runs OK as far as I can tell, so I can't see that I have done anything wrong.

What's going on? These cookies do not show when I look at Options | Privacy | Cookies because I don't allow third party cookies. Am I right to be concerned?

Thanks
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Re: Warning of tracking cookies

Post by HansV »

Probably just some old stuff left behind. You can use CCleaner to clean out cookies from time to time. (Before you do so, make sure that you specify which cookies you want to keep in Options > Cookies in CCleaner, for example for websites in which you want to login automatically)
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

When I look in my ...\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles folder, I have two profiles, one that is current, and one looks like it may have been created a couple of years ago, perhaps when I first installed Firefox on this machine.

Is it possible your cookies.sqlite file was not in a current profile folder?
Leif

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Hi, Leif
I only have one folder under Profiles, and cookies.sqlite is in this folder. Does that mean I only have one profile?
There are three files using the word cookies; they are cookies.sqlite, cookies.sqlite-shm and cookies.sqlitewal

Silverback.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Sorry - I've reached the limit of my expertise on this! If the existing folder and contents have current dates, I'd guess this is the one in use, and presumably the only profile.

You may be better of asking at Firefox Support • mozillaZine Forums...
Leif