Update: Firefox 36.0 released

HansV
Administrator

Update: Firefox 36.0 released

Post by HansV »

Available from the internal update mechanism, but at the moment of writing not yet from Download Firefox in your language. Also see the Release Notes.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Re: Update: Firefox 36.0 released

Post by HansV »

Update: the link mentioned above now offers Firefox 36.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

(I was going to mention the release of Fx 36 earlier, but Hans was quick.)

I agree with some of the comments on the net about some of the recent changes in the UI of Fx. They changed the Search bar in version 36; I'm not using this, or very seldom, but still why this? (As many may know, it is using the same search engine when text is highlighted and you use the context menu, right-click.) Now you can't change search engine on the fly, in the Search bar, and the settings for search is located in a new Search tab in the usual Preferences dialogue box; thus you have a default search engine for all tabs, until you change to a new default search engine. Why? Make it a bit more difficult to move from Google?

A quite old change is the menu bar in the title bar area; try explaining that to an old IE user; it's one of a kind, never seen.

And soon we'll see changes to Preferences; the dialogue box I mentioned will probably become an "in-content" design, i.e. displayed in the main window. As per usual they test things in many beta versions. Actually, it's already there via: about:preferences; guess it was the default menu destination in some beta. I can live with such a change, it can perhaps prove quite easy to use, if it doesn't break something. (When introduced one should be able to toggle it with browser.preferences.inContent.)

It is said they, among other things, want to avoid pop-ups; and more of a Modern UI, sort of. Oh ... how about navigating to the Privacy tab (sorry, panel) and selecting Exceptions... or Show cookies... Tadah, a very flat pop-up. :laugh: Now try navigating back (Alt-Left, Back key etc.), it may change the window behind the "pop-up". Hmmn.

So, new words to learn: preferences page, privacy panel, in-content; not forgetting Windows 8 swipe, tap and app ... (It must be close to the end of the week since I'm in grumpy mode. Now where is the setting to change that.)

But the change to the search engine selection isn’t good.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Jim Cone
StarLounger

Post by Jim Cone »

Any previous version of Firefox can be downloaded from... https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org ... /releases/
I am using Firefox 28.0; it does what I need.
'---

Jim Cone
https://jumpshare.com/b/O5FC6LaBQ6U3UPXjOmX2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Mozilla has released a series of updates in quick succession; Firefox is now up to version 36.0.4. The last two updates fix vulnerabilities disclosed at HP Zero Day Initiative's Pwn2Own contest.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:Mozilla has released a series of updates in quick succession; Firefox is now up to version 36.0.4. The last two updates fix vulnerabilities disclosed at HP Zero Day Initiative's Pwn2Own contest.
I had 36.01 already installed and didn't even realize it! I guess 36.0 really impressed me? So now have 36.04. Hurrah! :fanfare:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.