Untrusted Connection Woes

Leif
Administrator

Untrusted Connection Woes

Post by Leif »

Not for the first time, I am trying to use Firefox to access a 'secure' site and am met with an 'Untrusted Connection' message:
x.jpg
Fair enough, but whatever I do or click, Firefox won't let me proceed.
I click on 'Add Exception...' and get the popup window as above, click on 'Get Certificate' and 'Confirm Security Exception', but nowt happens. All I can do is click 'Cancel' to close the popup.

The site is quite genuine - it's an online store for parts we buy - but I'm fed up with having to 'View this page in IE'.

Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Untrusted Connection Woes

Post by BobH »

Can't help you with the problem, Leif. Sorry!

But here is a link to the Firefox Support page at Mozilla Forums. Someone there might be able to help.

You might have to join to post. I don't remember.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Please send me a private message with the offending URL so I can check it out
StuartR

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Thanks both - PM on its way, Stuart...
Leif

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Thanks Stuart - looks like an incorrectly/badly installed certificate or something. I'll see if I can get to the bottom of the what and why and report back in due course.
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

To anyone following this, it looks like there was a problem with a missing trusted root certificate in Firefox. Now downloaded and installed.
StuartR

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Stuart, is this an issue with which all Firefox users here should be concerned? I'm not very familiar with how certificates work.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The page worked perfectly from Firefox on my PC. It looks like Leif had somehow lost (or corrupted) this trusted root certificate from his particular installation.
StuartR

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You can view all your trusted root certificates in Firefox from Options > Advanced > View Certificates and then open the Authorities tab.

The particular certificate that Leif had a problem with was the GlobalSign Extended Validation CA - G2 certificate. Strangely my installation of Firefox seems to have two of these installed. They look identical except for the certificate serial numbers and fingerprints.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thanks, Stuart.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.