Firefox switches to a Word document

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Firefox switches to a Word document

Post by stuck »

Next question. In Firefox click Tools | Add-ons | Extensions, make a note of everything that's listed and then tell us the list.

Thanks,

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

I'm just chancing it, but if the app works without this issue in Safe Mode, then the source of the issue might be with an add-in.
Follow these dialogs to open FF is Safe Mode and see if the problem persists:

Access the run command from the start menu
FF SM 02 (Run).png
If needed select the appropriate profile
FF SM 03a (Profile Manager).png
Select to switch off add-ins
If you choose Reset toolbars it will clear your custom settings...be careful with that option.
FF SM 04a (Safe Mode).png
If the issue is resolved in Safe Mode, then it is an add-in that is causing the problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

Hi, Ken -

Using 'proper' mouse over a plain mousepad.

Extensions:
Adblock Plus
bluehell firewall
close other tabs
copy plain text
donot trackme
duckduckgo plus
noscript
nuke everything enhanced
undo closed tab button

I'm wondering if this behavior can have anything to do with v.26-this switching MIGHT have started after that download. Am thinking of going back to an earlier version.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

You list something called 'copy plain text'. I know nothing about that add-on but I'd start by disabling that one on the grounds that if something has copied something it might want to take you somewhere like an open Word doc ready for you to paste.

Ken
PS I asked about the mouse because my experience is that using an optical mouse on a surface that has a high contrast pattern can make the mouse jump erratically as it tracks across the pattern so I was wondering if your mouse was randomly jumping such that it wasn't actually where you thought it was when you clicked, it had ended up on the Word icon on the taskbar and hey presto suddenly you're in Word.

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

Thanks for the reply, and the explanation.

I have disabled Copy Plain Text, tho I don't believe I was switched after having used it: It has to be explicitly clicked from the Clipboard for the text to be copied to a document.

I found this extension to be useful and would recommend it, should it be 'innocent.'

Uncle

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Have you tried the option of using FF in Safe Mode (as described above)?
Regards,
Rudi

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

Apologies, Rudi. Thought I had replied to your suggestion, and how-to. Since this is an intermittent problem, I'd rather not work in Safe Mode.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I never intended you to work in safe mode all the time. It is a once of procedure to check if any of the add-ins is the cause of your frustrations. If you switch to safe mode, it temporarily disables all your add-ins. If in this state you see that the issue is gone, then that proves that one of the add-ins is the problem. You can them switch FF back to normal mode by restarting it and then your task would be to disable each add-in one at a time to discover which one is the cause. Its basically a string of troubleshooting actions to find the fault, but it all starts with a once off Safe Mode.
Regards,
Rudi

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

I understand, Rudi. I was trying to convey that days can go by without an incident. I wouldn't want to work in Safe Mode for an extended time, waiting for the switch.

I do appreciate the suggestion, Rudi.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I understand. :smile:
Regards,
Rudi

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Since we don't seem to be any nearer solving this by blaming the problem on Firefox lets try a different tack...

The open Word doc you are switched to, is it always the same doc you end up in? In other words has this switching started since you created one particular Word doc, one that you've had open on a regular basis?

Also, when you do end up in Word, is there ever a dialog box open? If so what dialog box is it?

I'm asking these questions to try and work out if the switch is being triggered by Word demanding your attention, rather than the problem being Firefox randomly switching to Word.

Ken

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

Hi, Ken -

Yes, it's the same document, one I always open first, but it is not recently created.
No open Dialog Box

I was thinking along your lines and will open a different document first and see, in the coming days, if that has an affect on this puzzle.

Thanks for the ideas.