Looking for an Add-On for Searching

BobH
UraniumLounger

Looking for an Add-On for Searching

Post by BobH »

I do a lot of net surfing on news sites. Often I remember that there was a site where I saw an item that I would like to add to research notes, but I have no way to search that site to find what I want.

Is there an add-on or a separate program that allows one to search sites including comments in new articles?

:thankyou: :chocciebar:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Re: Looking for an Add-On for Searching

Post by PJ_in_FL »

How about searching your browser history for keywords to find a subset of links that may lead you to the item of interest? You'd need to retain the browser history for however long you'd want to have searchable.

Other options require the search engine you choose to have the information indexed, which may or may not be allowed by the site you're trying to recall.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BobH wrote:Is there an add-on or a separate program that allows one to search sites including comments in new articles?
:chocciebar:
Instead of using another add-in or separate program, you should consider using Google Advanced Search. The advanced search form is very user-friendly, and the additional information you supply will fine tune the search results quite a lot so that you can pinpoint a single phrase on a specific page or use wildcards and combinations of search conditions to get what you need. A bonus is that you have access to it on any PC at any time.

See this page and give it a test run: http://www.google.com/advanced_search

BTW: I'm keeping the choccie, and I'll share it with PJ :grin:

BTW2: See this interesting animated page that illustrates how web searches take place: http://www.google.co.za/intl/en/insides ... /thestory/
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Rudi wrote:BTW2: See this interesting animated page that illustrates how web searches take place: http://www.google.co.za/intl/en/insides ... /thestory/
I'm surprised and disappointed. What happened to the pigeons?
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I guess Google downplays their use of pigeons to avoid the wrath of animal rights activists.

The technology behind Google's great results
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Leif wrote:I'm surprised and disappointed. What happened to the pigeons?
They have migrated to Hummingbirds now....
-- All About The New Google “Hummingbird” Algorithm
-- Why Google’s New Hummingbird Algorithm is Good News for Serious Content Creators
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.