FFox catch 22. Cannot synch

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

FFox catch 22. Cannot synch

Post by Peter Kinross »

Trying to Synch FFox on my main computer and on my laptop.
No matter what I do, no matter what combination I chose, no matter which computer I start from, FFox insists on me putting in a 'Recovery key'. I don't have one! FFox says to go to the other computer (I tried both ways on both computers several times) to get the key. No such key exists on either computer. There is an option to select the option for 'I don't have my other computer with me' or some such thing. Selecting this looks like it is finding the key. It then inserts a key and gives me the opportunity to save it. But I cannot go any further the 'Next' button is always greyed out. So I try on the other computer and insert the key just given. Big warning "Incorrect key". I have tried and tried, but there is no way I can get a key unless I already have one - Catch 22.
How do I synch - there's gotta be a way (I hope).
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: FFox catch 22. Cannot synch

Post by Claude »

Have you tried setting up a new Sync Account ?
Cheers, Claude.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Sounds like that's what I need.
How do I do that? there's no option that I can see to do it.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I haven't got Sync setup, so, when I go to the Tools menu, I get "Set up Sync" which gives me the option as per image below...
sync.gif
You may need to uninstall FF, clean the registry, reboot and start again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Claude.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Claude.
I thought that that was to set up a new FireFox account (maybe it is).
I clicked that and it asks for an email address. I entered mine and was promptly told that that email address was already in use. That is the only one I have. Another FFox catch 22.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

It seems my previous advice has also cause more issues :sorry:

Not sure if you've seen this support page...but it might have info to assist with the sync process...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Ha ha! Thanks Rudi, following the instructions in that link did it.
My error - well I would put the blame squarely at the feet of Mozilla; I was getting to the stage of FFox generating a new key, but could go no further. In that window was a button 'Change Recovery key'. Previously I hadn't clicked that button as I already had a brand new key - why on earth would I want to change it. Very misleading. All Mozilla has to do is change the wording to 'Use this Recovery key'. Then no one would get stuck in the Catch 22.
I now have 2 computers synced.
One question, how do I get my shortcut bar to sync?

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Peter Kinross wrote:One question, how do I get my shortcut bar to sync?
Hi Peter,

Sorry, I cannot assist with this query as I do not have FF and I cannot find much on their support site re: syncing the bookmark bar.

As my 2 cents:
Either the bar should sync as part of the syncing process, or there should be an option to include the bar when you specify the settings in the sync profile.
If neither is available then I'm not sure if this process accommodates for it?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Peter Kinross wrote:...how do I get my shortcut bar to sync?
If 'shortcut bar' means Firefox's 'Bookmarks Toolbar' then I'm not sure how to sync (as in combine two different set of bookmarks into one) them but there are a couple of easy ways of cloning one set of bookmarks onto another PC

1) The fastest (but slightly geeky) way is to copy a file called places.sqlite, which is in your FF profile folder on your source PC and paste it into the corresponding FF profile folder on the destination PC. Ta dah! both PCs have the same set of bookmarks, the set on the source PC.

2) Open FF on the source PC and click Bookmarks | Show all Bookmarks. In the Library window that appears use the Import and Backup menu to backup you bookmarks. Note where you save the back up file then copy it over to the destination PC and then open FF and use the Import feature to load it into that copy of FF. Ta dah! both PCs have the same set of bookmarks, the set on the source PC.

Ken

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Most of my shortcuts seem to have synched without me doing anything. :clapping: Only thing missing was the shortcut icons, but clicking on each one to go to that site, brought up the icons.
Thanks all.