Memory Fox Addon

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Memory Fox Addon

Post by Bigaldoc »

Does anyone here have Memory Fox installed or know anything about it? I installed it some time ago, thinking it would be good to "prevent" Firefox from screwing up the computer's RAM use. But now I have a question.

I was recently in Event Viewer which I don't look at very often and saw an entry like this attachment. It occurs EVERY MINUTE and the explanation doesn't help at all in understanding what the addon is doing. The only thing that changes from one event to the next is the part I red-boxed. The only reason I think it's Memory Fox is a Google on "AFOM" points in that direction. I disabled it about an hour ago and the EV messages have stopped.

I'm curious as to whether the addon is worth keeping active and/or if that every minute activity is worth whatever it's doing? I'm still running Fx 3.5.8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Memory Fox Addon

Post by HansV »

I'm suspicious of third-party memory managers in general. Windows has its own memory management built in, and tampering with it is unlikely to improve things. I'd uninstall the add-on.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Al, I tend to agree with Hans. I've run Fx for years without any memory management add-ins (and very few others either!) and have never experienced memory issues. If you want to continue using it however, there was an update (1.4.6) released yesterday.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I may say this wrong, but I agree with both of you about alleged "memory management" products, as Windows does (in my opinion) a credible job of that.

In the case of Memory Fox, I kinda viewed it a bit differently than memory management, since the term "memory leakage" is a long standing one and in the past the only way to recover from the problem would be to boot the computer. I don't remember if I heard about this addon here of back in WS days.

It's just that I never realized that this addon was "exercising" my system EVERY minute and I certainly don't think that's necessary. In any case, I don't think I need it and appreciate the comments.