Where are my bookmarks stored? (Firefox 3.6)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Where are my bookmarks stored? (Firefox 3.6)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I can't find my old bookmarks after rebuilding drive C:.
I followed my customary procedures - did a full backup to an external drive, renamed "Documents and Settings" to be "Documents and Settings_20200314", which in the past has always been a neat way of preserving Bookmarks.html for resurrection after the fresh installation of Firefox (likewise for a variety of other applications)

This morning, re-establishing stuff, I see that my latest Bookmarks.html is over 18 months old.

I do see a backups folder with daily-dated *.JSON files, but am not sure what to do with them.
Any help would be appreciated.

(This is my long-awaited rebuild which is fixing many, many outstanding problems on my system)
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Leif
Administrator

Re: Where are my bookmarks stored? (Firefox 3.6)

Post by Leif »

Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:Anything here help?
Thanks, Leif.
It should help, but hasn't yet.
I shut down Firefox, delete the cache, drag the 252 KB "bookmarks-2010-03-13.json" to "C:\Documents and Settings\ChrisL\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4uwshka4.default", rename the file to be "bookmarks.html", then reload Firefox, but the bookmarks shown are those from about 18 months ago, still, e.g. 'World Wide Words" and 'Morpheus Clinic", places I've not visited for yonks.
It is as if for the past 18 months Firefox hasn't be saving my bookmarks at all, at all, and I'm very mystified.
(ten minutes later)
:Duh: I should have used RESTORE instead of IMPORT in the Organize Bookmarks menus.
2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 15 Mar 2010, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I can't find my old bookmarks after rebuilding drive C:.
They are contained within places.sqlite in the Firefox profile directory, I believe. That's why it's so pestilentially large because sqlite is spectacularly inefficient. (Over 200 MB at home, in my case...)
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Recent versions of CCleaner have an option to compact the SQLite databases used by Firefox:
x24.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Very true - I use a Firefox extension, but compacting places.sqlite doesn't reduce the file to a sensible size! (Like 20 MB...)
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hello John,

IIRC, Mozilla has a tool called mozbackup that will back up and restore the options and data for both Thunderbird and Firefox. You might give it a look: http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs