Copy URL

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Copy URL

Post by Bigaldoc »

Once again Mozilla has done a number on me with Version 13... It's gotten so I hate to upgrade only to find out what's now inoperable...

My favorite addon, Copy URL, is no longer compatible with Firefox and has been disabled.

Would someone please suggest an addon that allows one to copy a URL in its "descriptive" form for posting here in The Lounge.

If need be, I can refer you to one or more posts where some of you are doing that and I don't know how. Thanks !!!

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Copy URL

Post by Argus »

Not a solution, sorry Al; just describing my MO; if I really want to use the page's title I go to the tech. details in the browser; i.e. click on the Site Identity Button, in the address bar, then copy the page title from the General tab, and then the usual "URL2" BBCode, i.e. modified "URL" code, :grin: but it was refereed to as "URL2" a long time a go, or Post BBCode, such as:

[­url=http://eileenslounge.com/]Eileen's Lounge • Portal[/url]
Eileen's Lounge • Portal

I've found that most of the time I don't need this; it's of course nice to be able to link to a page using the "official name" in just a step or two, but since these can sometimes be quite long, or include nonsense, I have found less use for that. And if I can avoid adding add-ons, using built-in functions, I don't mind the extra steps, and in this case particularly since I don't use it often enough. For example, if you link to a Microsoft KB article there is a title on the page, which can be copied.

That said, I know several have used bookmarklets, add-ons etc. for years to capture and create the code so that it can be pasted. There's probably a nice solution to this, since there are several add-ons out there. (Copy URL, Copy Link URL etc. etc.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks Argus, but that seems like a lot of work. For the time being, until I see if someone like Hans has an addon he uses (or others), I'm using Allen Miller's VERY OLD javascript "bookmarklet" which still works.

I've just added a bookmark to my Fx toolbar and it's not a problem to hit copy. I liked Copy URL 'cause it was a one-click operation for whatever URL is in the address bar.

javascript:%20void(prompt('Lounge%20URL',''%20+%20document.title%20+%20''%20));

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm currently not using an add-in to copy URLs. I create the links manually these days...
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:Once again Mozilla has done a number on me with Version 13... It's gotten so I hate to upgrade only to find out what's now inoperable...

My favorite addon, Copy URL, is no longer compatible with Firefox and has been disabled.

Would someone please suggest an addon that allows one to copy a URL in its "descriptive" form for posting here in The Lounge.

If need be, I can refer you to one or more posts where some of you are doing that and I don't know how. Thanks !!!
I would try the "old" change the install.rdf file to a larger number. I've got most of mine changed to version 15 and all works well. I don't know why Mozilla doesn't fix that thing so you don't have to change it but until then I'll keep up with them with this change.
To refresh your memory, see John Grey's post HERE

It's about Google Toolbar but it works for any of the add-ons, at least all that I have installed.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Bigaldoc wrote:Thanks Argus, but that seems like a lot of work. [...]
Well, :smile: as I said I don't use it (the full, and exact, page title) often enough; but if I did, such a thing would perhaps be nice. And that's the page title in combination with the URL (with some code added), but I often have to edit the URL as well, since there might be an "sv-SE", or similar, for Swedish version of the page. Another example would be the other way around, people pointing to, for example, a Mozilla page for the latest Firefox version and then including "en-US" in the URL; quite useless in many countries, therefore I often used the "getfirefox" link.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Well unfortunately the @#$%& thing has been removed and I can't find any install.rdf for it anywhere. I went back to the Mozilla addons page and can't find it there any longer.

Crap... I suppose I'll just still with Alan's javascript and be done with it. It REALLY ticks me off with Mozilla...

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:Well unfortunately the @#$%& thing has been removed and I can't find any install.rdf for it anywhere. I went back to the Mozilla addons page and can't find it there any longer.

Crap... I suppose I'll just still with Alan's javascript and be done with it. It REALLY ticks me off with Mozilla...
Can't put it back with a SP image clone of just the profile??
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Just a tad too pissed to fool with retrieving from backup. I'll just stick with plain ol' URLs or Alan's javascript.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Bigaldoc wrote:I went back to the Mozilla addons page and can't find it there any longer.
So this isn't what you're looking for then?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -link-url/

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think that one will generate BBCode of the form [url=http://www.somewhere.com]page title[/url], ready to be pasted into a forum post, which is what Al's now defunct add-on did.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks but Hans is correct. I've looked at quite a number but none that I can see will generate the BBcode. I'm just gonna stick with Alan Miller's old javascript. It's only one extra click and still works fine.

I should also have added that in Googling, I found a couple of others that are NOT Fx addons but scripts and one of those is claimed to have problems, so I didn't do any more digging.

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

An add-on that is quite versatile allowing links to be added in bbcode and several other formats is Easy Copy. It is similar to the defunct Copy URL Plus add-on, and for those that like tinkering it is easy to customize to suit your needs.
Tony

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks, Tony! Giving it a look-see now...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

TonyE wrote:An add-on that is quite versatile allowing links to be added in bbcode and several other formats is Easy Copy. It is similar to the defunct Copy URL Plus add-on, and for those that like tinkering it is easy to customize to suit your needs.
Just a repeat thank you, Tony. I've been using it for several days now and it's working out well. I do like its customizing features.

In this clip, I've moved BBcode to the top of the list AND the "main menu" means it shows in your context menu, saving an extra click.
2012-06-11_140956.png
A nice little feature is the ability to eliminate extra text that shows in links, such as our Lounge.
2012-06-11_141041.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.