Beware of Firefox Rogue Extension

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Beware of Firefox Rogue Extension

Post by Gloria E »

All users of Mozilla Firefox should read the article provided in the link below.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/rogu ... ions/11856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :flee:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Beware of Firefox Rogue Extension

Post by HansV »

Thanks - it's always good to be careful (and even better not to visit shady sites...)
Best wishes,
Hans

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

There are quite a few rogue extensions that pretend to be Flash Player, Java or other legitimate plugins or extensions. The rogue extensions get added to the Firefox block list when they are discovered. This one is on the block list which will stop Firefox from installing it.
Tony

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Whooee, way to go, Tony !!! (And Mozilla, of course!)

Edited to add: I should have added that, since I encountered one fairly recently, I happen to know where the list is: Blocked Add-ons

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Thanks - it's always good to be careful (and even better not to visit shady sites...)
On the rare occasions I look at Firefox's extension, I'm not familiar with the authors. How does an ordinary users know which authors are legit and which are not?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

TonyE wrote:There are quite a few rogue extensions that pretend to be Flash Player, Java or other legitimate plugins or extensions. The rogue extensions get added to the Firefox block list when they are discovered. This one is on the block list which will stop Firefox from installing it.
Thanks Tony, that's good to know. I had not heard of this protection before. So, one doesn't have to be afraid to install extensions or have to know anything about their authors.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Bigaldoc wrote:Whooee, way to go, Tony !!! (And Mozilla, of course!)

Edited to add: I should have added that, since I encountered one fairly recently, I happen to know where the list is: Blocked Add-ons
Al, have you any idea why Flash Player is continually listed as Malware on that list, and why Java Plugin is listed as blocked.

Gloria E

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Gloria E wrote:On the rare occasions I look at Firefox's extension, I'm not familiar with the authors. How does an ordinary users know which authors are legit and which are not?
There are couple of simple rules to stick to; making things like this more or less a non-issue. (Together with Hans’ advice above.)
  • Use as few extensions as possible. If an old one gets out of date, and there is a vulnerability it might be exploited. Not directly related to this, but still a good rule I think.
  • Always update via the official channels; whether it's Mozilla’s site, built-in update mechanisms, such as Flash Player's CP applet, or from the authors’ sites.
  • There is, in the absolute majority of cases, no need to update a commonly used extension because it "doesn't work with a site" - if one has the extension, it's probably something questionable going on. That is, maintain a healthy scepticism towards popups and other messages at different sites, especially if you already have the extension.
Gloria E wrote:Al, have you any idea why Flash Player is continually listed as Malware on that list, and why Java Plugin is listed as blocked.
I'm not Al, but a comment on that as well. Presumably because they are faux versions of said software... It wouldn't make sense creating an extension purporting to be the Flash Player and call it "John Doe's Player", would it?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Gloria E wrote: have you any idea why Flash Player is continually listed as Malware on that list, and why Java Plugin is listed as blocked.
The ones called Flash Player on that list are not actually Adobe Flash Player but rogue extensions pretending to be the Flash Player.

Some versions of Java have been blocked due to security concerns, the latest version of Java is allowed.
Tony

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

And, I think Argus and ALL have pointed this out. I NEVER respond to a site telling me, whether popup or not, that I need to "update" something or other.

Whenever that happens, I back out as quickly as possible and (as suggested by Argus) I go to the legit site, such as Adobe or whomever.

I think the "healthy skepticism" is an excellent choice of words. For an old New Yorker like me, skepticism is a way of life...!!!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Argus wrote:
Gloria E wrote:On the rare occasions I look at Firefox's extension, I'm not familiar with the authors. How does an ordinary users know which authors are legit and which are not?
There are couple of simple rules to stick to; making things like this more or less a non-issue. (Together with Hans’ advice above.)
  • Use as few extensions as possible. If an old one gets out of date, and there is a vulnerability it might be exploited. Not directly related to this, but still a good rule I think.
  • Always update via the official channels; whether it's Mozilla’s site, built-in update mechanisms, such as Flash Player's CP applet, or from the authors’ sites.
  • There is, in the absolute majority of cases, no need to update a commonly used extension because it "doesn't work with a site" - if one has the extension, it's probably something questionable going on. That is, maintain a healthy scepticism towards popups and other messages at different sites, especially if you already have the extension.
Gloria E wrote:Al, have you any idea why Flash Player is continually listed as Malware on that list, and why Java Plugin is listed as blocked.
I'm not Al, but a comment on that as well. Presumably because they are faux versions of said software... It wouldn't make sense creating an extension purporting to be the Flash Player and call it "John Doe's Player", would it?
I try not to use extensions or add-ons unless there's a compelling reason to do so. That's good advice, thank you so much.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

TonyE wrote:
Gloria E wrote: have you any idea why Flash Player is continually listed as Malware on that list, and why Java Plugin is listed as blocked.
The ones called Flash Player on that list are not actually Adobe Flash Player but rogue extensions pretending to be the Flash Player.

Some versions of Java have been blocked due to security concerns, the latest version of Java is allowed.
That answers my question and I appreciate your replying. Maybe that's the reason my favorite game site (Pogo) will not work if I play using Internet Explorer, but works if I play using Chrome or Firefox. Pogo uses Java for it''s animation and I always used IE to play, until recently where I now get error messages and the games don't load (but that's another unrelated situation).

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:
TonyE wrote:

That answers my question and I appreciate your replying. Maybe that's the reason my favorite game site (Pogo) will not work if I play using Internet Explorer, but works if I play using Chrome or Firefox. Pogo uses Java for it''s animation and I always used IE to play, until recently where I now get error messages and the games don't load (but that's another unrelated situation).
You can install Java for IE versions.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... t-Explorer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.