IE 8 Encoding

Gloria E
5StarLounger

IE 8 Encoding

Post by Gloria E »

I have no idea what Encoding means or does to the computer. I took a look at IE8 > View> Encoding and saw that Unicode (UTF-8) was selected. I also saw other choices and they were: Auto-Select; Western European (Windows); More> Foreign Languages; Left-To-Right Document; Right-To-Left Document and of course, the one I mentione above.

I (not knowing what I was doing, but taking a chance), changed the selection to: Auto-Select. When I returned to see the results of my change, I found that Auto-Select; Western European (Windows); and Left-To-Right Document was now selected.

Locking the barn door after the horse has escaped, I decided to find out what all those choices really meant and if I had made a mistake. :bash:

Will someone with more computer savvy than I, please explain the choices and correct me if I have done something wrong. :thankyou:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: IE 8 Encoding

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:I have no idea what Encoding means or does to the computer. I took a look at IE8 > View> Encoding and saw that Unicode (UTF-8) was selected. I also saw other choices and they were: Auto-Select; Western European (Windows); More> Foreign Languages; Left-To-Right Document; Right-To-Left Document and of course, the one I mentione above.

I (not knowing what I was doing, but taking a chance), changed the selection to: Auto-Select. When I returned to see the results of my change, I found that Auto-Select; Western European (Windows); and Left-To-Right Document was now selected.

Locking the barn door after the horse has escaped, I decided to find out what all those choices really meant and if I had made a mistake. :bash:

Will someone with more computer savvy than I, please explain the choices and correct me if I have done something wrong. :thankyou:

Gloria E
Gloria,
Unlock the barn door and change selection back to UTF-8.

If you like to read, here is some tech info but if it gets too heavy for you, just reset it and forget it.
http://htmlpurifier.org/docs/enduser-utf8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

The barn door is locked and back to UTF-8. I'm really not in the mood for heavy reading, so I'll skip that .
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

Usually the web server or the web page will inform the browser of the best encoding to use. Therefore, auto-select usually works fine.

If you see question marks or inappropriate character substitutions, you could try a different encoding. For non-European characters and symbols, try changing to Unicode (UTF-8). If the author used "Wingdings", you might have to use the Western European (Windows) (AKA Windows-1252) encoding to see the page as intended.

(In rare cases, authors have inadvertently broken their page in Firefox by saving the page in an encoding that is severely mismatched with a style sheet or script (e.g., UTF-16-LE and ISO-8859-1), so the browser refuses to apply the style sheet or discards the script. IE almost certainly is more forgiving.)

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Thanks Jscher, that was my first impression. To me it makes a lot of sense, so back to auto-select I go. Your explaination of encoding will be saved until I come across a probelm with viewing web pages.

Gloria E

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:Thanks Jscher, that was my first impression. To me it makes a lot of sense, so back to auto-select I go. Your explaination of encoding will be saved until I come across a probelm with viewing web pages.

Gloria E
WHY did you want to change the encoding in the first place?
Were you having a particular problem with something or where you just "experimenting?" :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

I'm having a slight problem with a game I play every day. Now it's game page is all messed up. It's squeezed together from right to left and top to bottom. I was experimenting as you asked, hoping this might have some effect. I really think it's a Pogo problem and not one with IE8.
Chenging encoding had no effect, but I can hope can't I?