Uninstalling IE9

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Uninstalling IE9

Post by PaulB »

I'm a Firefox user and need a bit of IE help. My sister in law is having all sorts of trouble with IE9. She wants to know if she can remove IE9 and reinstall IE8. I seem to recall seeing somewhere that uninstalling IE9 would result in the restoration of IE8. Is that so? If not, how does she restore IE8?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Uninstalling IE9

Post by HansV »

Your memory is correct: if she uninstalls Internet Explorer 9, the previous version will be restored automatically.
Best wishes,
Hans

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

Control Panel, Programs and Features, View Installed Updates, select IE9 and uninstall
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thank you both for this information. Ted, I was thinking more along the lines of "Control Panel>Programs and Features>Turn Windows features on or off>select IE9" to uninstall but I see now that this might remove IE (any and all versions) completely.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

With Vista & Windows 7 you can not completely uninstall IE. You can only turn it off. The path Ted supplied is correct because IE9 is supplied as an update.

Joe
Joe

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Great! Thanks.
Regards,
Paul

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

JoeP wrote:With Vista & Windows 7 you can not completely uninstall IE. You can only turn it off. The path Ted supplied is correct because IE9 is supplied as an update.

Joe
Joe, I would like your opinion re: installing IE9 as an update or downloading it from the web?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Gloria E wrote:...I would like your opinion re: installing IE9 as an update or downloading it from the web?
There is no difference. When you install IE9 as an update it has to be downloaded from the web.
StuartR

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

I always prefer to download the file directly from MS for large updates rather than go through Windows Updates. It probably is just a personal preference. I seem to have had less trouble over the years doing this.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

StuartR wrote:
Gloria E wrote:...I would like your opinion re: installing IE9 as an update or downloading it from the web?
There is no difference. When you install IE9 as an update it has to be downloaded from the web.
Gee Stuart, but of course, I should have thought of that. Thanks for refreshing my memory. :thankyou:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!