New IE window defaults to maximize size

jmt356
SilverLounger

New IE window defaults to maximize size

Post by jmt356 »

Is it possible to get IE to default to the maximized window screen when opening a new IE window by clicking on the IE icon in the taskbar icon tray?
Regards,

JMT

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: New IE window defaults to maximize size

Post by Argus »

I don't know which OS you are using, and if you mean the Quick Launch Bar in the Taskbar, but you could try opening IE, maximizing the window, then closing it with the X button, top right, and it should remember its position. (I just did this on a fresh install of IE8 on XP; on the other hand closing it maximized via the menu also worked. But the X button can sometimes work, for example when the sort order in Explorer’s File Open, Save As etc. dialogues doesn't remember changes.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If Argus's tips don't work, you can make the IE window cover the entire screen by dragging its top left corner to the top left corner of the screen and the bottom right corner to just above the task bar in the lower right corner of the screen. IE should remember this window size and position.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thanks Argus, it worked.

If you want to adjust the size of the "Restore" window, I found this works:
i. Drag the corners of the window to the desired position.
ii. Hold down the Ctrl key, keep it depressed, and using the mouse click File and then Exit on the menu bar.
iii. Internet Explorer should now restore to this size. If it doesn’t, try substituting the "Shift" key for the "Ctrl" key.
iv. NOTE: you may need to perform these steps on the last open IE window, and then close that last window before restarting IE.
Regards,

JMT

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Yep, I knew about the Ctrl-click X, and have used it during different OS versions, but didn't know how much was mumbo jumbo and in fact supported in latest OS versions; that would have been my next advice. And yes, you would have to do it on the last window open. :smile: Good to hear it is solved.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Argus's suggestion works for when I open a new IE window by clicking the IE icon on the Quick Launch Bar of Windows 7,but not when opening a new window in IE by right clicking a link and selecting "Open in a new window." In that situation, I am still getting a tiny new window. How can I get that to open at maximum size?
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

The best I have been able to achieve in getting big IE windows is to maximize an IE window and then press the X on the upper right, which causes the IE window to be maximized when started from the Quick Launch Bar, and then, when opening a new window through right click > Open in new window, which causes the new window to open in a non-maximized size, to drag the corners of that window to the desired position and then, while hoding down control, to select File | Exit. This causes new windows opened through right click > Open in new window, to open to the size in which I dragged the corners. However, this is not maximum size. No matter how far to the edge you drag the window, it never completely reaches maximum size because the border of the window will always show unless you maximize it.

Both of these changes only work when the changes are made to the last open IE window and then that window is closed.
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Are you by chance using a "Limited" account?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I'm not sure what you mean by "Limited," but my Windows account has full administrative privileges.
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Have you looked at the properties of the link to IE by "Right Clicking" the entry and selecting "Properties" and then see what is selected in the Run" pane?

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Dave, do you mean the properties window that can be selected when right-clicking a link? There is only a general tab with no Run pane.
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

NO, NOT the link, but right click the IE icon in the taskbar, then when the list appears. right click the "IE" entry and then select properties.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

"Normal Window" is displayed in the Run pane of the Shortcut tab. I changed it to display "Maximized," but it didn't change anything. I will repost if, after restarting, it changes anything.
Regards,

JMT