Newsletters & Internal Hyperlinks

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Newsletters & Internal Hyperlinks

Post by hlewton »

I posted this question before at Woody’s and never did get it resolved and since there are a lot of the same people here I thought I’d try it again with just a little bit of a different twist. I am using XPP and I.E. 8 just for the record.

I get a newsletter from Kim Komando each week and it has links that the top of the newsletter that is like a table of contents that I am supposed to be able to click on and have it take me to that portion of the newsletter. Each time I click on one of the hyperlinks it opens up my home page on the Internet instead of taking me to the correct portion of the newsletter. I, of course, would like a solution to this if anyone has one but short of that I could use some help in phrasing my problem to do a Google search. Nothing I have tried searching for seems to produce any results.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Newsletters & Internal Hyperlinks

Post by HansV »

I can't find any mention of this problem, sorry...
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

What client are you using to view the emails in? Outlook, or web-browser or...?
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans for trying.

Leif I am using Outlook 2003. It used to work fine, and then it would work sporadically, now it doesn't work at all. By work I mean take me to the topic within the Newsletter. I do have this same newsletter sent to a Hotmail account and after your question I went there using the same machine and it works as it should. So can we fix Outlook 2003 short of a reinstall? Not sure if it is just this one machine or it all the ones I have with Outlook 2003 would act the same. Next Saturday when I get another newsletter I'll try to remember to download in onto another machine using Outlook 2003 as well unless, of course, you know how to fix this one in the mean time.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I would have guessed at there being a problem with the content of the newsletter if you hadn't said it worked OK at Hotmail.

A quick Google brought up Designing an HTML newsletter in Outlook 2003 « Organising Chaos. About 1/3 down the page, look for a paragraph beginning with "The other major problem I ran into was trying to make the anchor tags for the TOC work." Can you View Source of the email and see exactly what the links/anchors look like?

(For some more background information on how the links are inserted, see Hyperlinks vs. Anchors in HTML Email | Email Marketing News and Tips)
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I can view the source but not sure if I should post it all since it is so long and not sure exactly what to look for since most of it looks like gibberish to me but her is the first few sentences of it.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<!--
Thank you for subscribing to The Kim Komando Show Weekly Newsletter!

If you are seeing this message your e-mail program may not be compatible with HTML.

Here's an FAQ I've developed to help you make sure my Weekly Newsletter
arrives in your Inbox, and looks as it should:
http://www.komando.com/newsletters/faq.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can receive this e-mail in its proper format by using one of the free e-mail services
such as Hotmail or Yahoo! Mail.
http://mail.yahoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.hotmail.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To subscribe a new address, sign up here:
http://www.komando.com/newsletters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To unsubscribe, use my online form:
http://www.komando.com/newsletters/unsubscribe.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You may also unsubscribe by sending a request via postal mail.
Please include your name, e-mail address and a printed
copy of your Weekly Newsletter e-mail. Send to:
Unsubscribe Kim's Newsletter
2711 N. 24th St.
Phoenix, AZ 85008

I only saw the above message after clicking on "View Source" the "Properties" option was not available.

The first link I read from the above post seemed to be talking about designing the newsletter and I couldn't see the garbage in front of the link that he says Outlook puts into the hyperlink since I guess I am not actually seeing the hyperlink.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

From the sentence "You can receive this e-mail in its proper format by using one of the free e-mail services such as Hotmail or Yahoo! Mail", one might conclude that the newsletter is designed to be viewed in a browser. Viewing it in a stand-alone e-mail client such as Outlook may have limitations.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yep that's what I am thinking too but I just can't forget that it did work perfectly at one time and just kind of quit gradually over time. I remember when I posted this question in the other forum someone had me do something that I can't remember but it had to do with the IE browser and I only did whatever it was on this machine. Next Saturday if I remember I will download the next newsletter on another computer with the same version of Outlook and see if I can use the links correctly there. If so I'll go back and try to find that other post at Woody's and see it whatever it was I did can be undone.

OK I got curious to see if I could find it and here is what I guess I did even though the first two paragraphs don't seem to be describing my problem. BTW that was when I was using IE 7 and now I am using IE 8.

The Locate Link Browser dialog box appears when you open a Web link in an e-mail message in Outlook 2003

Symptoms When you click a Web link in an e-mail message in Outlook 2003, the Web site opens in a browser window and the Locate Link Browser dialog box appears.
Back to the top

CAUSE This problem occurs on a Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer that has a third-...This problem occurs on a Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer that has a third-party browser that does not support Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE), such as Netscape Navigator and Mozilla.

To resolve this problem change the registered file type for the URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol file type to use Internet Explorer. To do this, follow these steps:
On the desktop, double-click My Computer.
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the File Types tab.
In the Registered File Types list, click URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol, click Advanced, and then click Edit.
In the Actions box, type open.
In the Application used to perform action box, locate Internet Explorer (Iexplore.exe), and then click Open.
In the Application box, type IExplore, and then click OK.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I got another newsletter today and downloaded it to different machine still using Outlook 2003. The hyperlinks would not take me to the correct place in the newsletter though it didn't try to open an Internet site. Instead it brought up a dialog box looking for a file on my computer. I believe that is what happened the last time about a year ago when I posted the same question at Woody's and is also the reason it was suggested to take the steps described in the above post. I tried it again in a Gmail account and it worked fine so it must be something about Outlook even though it used to work fine in Outlook.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have Googled this problem extensively, but I haven't found a clearcut solution - sorry!
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I have done the same thing. Thanks for trying Hans. I really appreciate it.
Regards,
hlewton