IE 8 and Windows 7

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

IE 8 and Windows 7

Post by hlewton »

There is a nice little utility for checking spelling that can be added to the toolbar in IE 8 which allows me to check spelling in posts like this. It works great in an XP operating system. I have checked and the utility is supposedly compatible with Windows 7 and works fine for a session. I customize the toolbar to include this spell checker and everything is great until I close out of that particular window. Any ideas why this utility is not remembering its place on the toolbar even after I customize it and place it there.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Re: IE 8 and Windows 7

Post by Rebel »

If you're speaking of ieSpell, I'm using it with IE8 and Win7 with no problems. When you placed it on the toolbar, have you unlocked the toolbars prior to adding it and then locked the toolbars again afterwards?
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yes John that is what I was talking about but I had never locked the toolbars. I just did so I'll see how that works. Thanks for this tip and thank you for pointing me to this site.
Regards,
hlewton

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

:crossfingers: Let us know if this works.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

So far it is working perfectly. I think the key was locking the taskbar.

A side note. I wanted to have the IE 8 icon on my desktop as I have in XP (although I have since found out XP now has eliminated its option in the SP3 update) and found a means to do that here Click Here if anyone is interested. Anyway the ieSpell does not show up as one of the commands available to place on the toolbar when opening Internet Explorer with that icon. Wish it did.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I just wanted to report back that after a few days now the suggestion of locking the toolbar seems to have done the trick because the spell checker is still there as it should be.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for posting back!
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rebel wrote:If you're speaking of ieSpell, I'm using it with IE8 and Win7 with no problems. When you placed it on the toolbar, have you unlocked the toolbars prior to adding it and then locked the toolbars again afterwards?
I am hoping this will be seen without starting a new thread because I believe it is a related problem.

ieSpell is still working for me as far as the ieSpell button remaining on the toolbar but I have noticed that during a spell check the word in error is not highlighted like it is supposed to be or at least as it is on an XP machine. Any ides why this would be and how to correct it? It often times makes it difficult to know what the word should be if I can't see where exactly I have used it.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you checked the ieSpell website?

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:Have you checked the ieSpell website?

Joe
OH yeah and Googled the problem as well. Came up with nothing in my searches. The problem persists.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Do you have version 2.6.4 (build 573) installed?

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:Do you have version 2.6.4 (build 573) installed?

Joe
Yes that is the one I have installed. I have tried highlighting all the text I wanted to check and still when it finds a mistake it does not highlight the word. It isn't too bad when I have only one or two sentences but when it gets lengthy it is often times hard to see where the misspelled word is. I have cheked the options and see nothin gthat would be of any help at all with this problem. I can't find the problem listed when I search it in Google either.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

When you installed ieSpell did you run the installer "as administrator"?

Your issue is discussed in this topic at the ieSpell Yahoo group - iespell : Message: ieSpell and Internet Explorer 8 not highlighting text. The fifth post in the thread dated Oct. 22, 2009 by sidneychong says that it is a known problem and was being worked on then. It is difficult to tell if either of the two releases since then are supposed to have fixed the problem. You could try using ieSpell - Report a Bug.

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:When you installed ieSpell did you run the installer "as administrator"?

Your issue is discussed in this topic at the ieSpell Yahoo group - iespell : Message: ieSpell and Internet Explorer 8 not highlighting text. The fifth post in the thread dated Oct. 22, 2009 by sidneychong says that it is a known problem and was being worked on then. It is difficult to tell if either of the two releases since then are supposed to have fixed the problem. You could try using ieSpell - Report a Bug.

Joe
There is only one account on my computer and I have been told that account has the administrator status when I asked the dealer about that. So to answer your question I think I ran the install as an administrator. Do you think I should have right clicked the install file and told it to run as administrator to be sure? If so do you think I should uninstall it and try again?

Maybe these questions are answered in that link you gave me but it seems that since I am not a member of their discussion group I can't see the threads.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks again Joe and I joined that group so I could see what it says but it seems it must still be a problem because I didn't see any solution mentioned. It's a shame because that program is really very useful when it works properly.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Contrary to XP, in Windows 7 being a member of the administrative group does no mean your have total administrative rights. With older applications it is often a good practice to right click and use "run as administrator". It can't hurt to uninstall ieSpell and reinstall with "run as administrator".

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you Joe I will give it a try.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well it is still doing the same thing even after uninstallimng and reinstalling it using "Right Click" - "Run As Administrator." Just thought I report back.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

That is too bad. Sorry, I don't have any more suggestions.

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

No problem. I appreciate the help and I'll keep an eye out for a new version and hope that will correct the problem since it is a known issue.
Regards,
hlewton