Cannot display the webpage

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Cannot display the webpage

Post by Gloria E »

Cannot display the webpage is what I see when I open my homepage or click on a link. I have contacted Windows for their free support for IE8 and was told that since it was an OEM I should contact Dell.

Dell said there free support was for hardware issues and I had to either pay $60 for one time support or purchase a contract for program support at a cost of $236. I refused both options first, because I only wanted a fix for the can't display problem. Dell's tech had me install Go to Assist and took over my machine. I was escalated up to a tech who specialized in software and he came up with the prices I quoted above.

Therefore I appeal to the real expert techs on this forum to help me fix the problem with IE8 version 8.0.7600-16385 256-bit.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Cannot display the webpage

Post by HansV »

What is your home page set to?
Does the error message occur for every link? (If so, how did you manage to post - you're still using IE8)
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:What is your home page set to?
Does the error message occur for every link? (If so, how did you manage to post - you're still using IE8)
My home page on both browsers is set to: http://cbs3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (CBS3.com).

No, the error does NOT occur on every page, just most of them. I think I said, and if I didn't I should have, that most of the time if I click on refresh the wanted web page loads.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Try clearing your cache.
What size is it set to?
Leif

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Leif wrote:Try clearing your cache.
What size is it set to?
I've just switched browsers to Thunderbird, I've gotten so tired of the 'can't find' web page message. I've done everything that was mentioned that could correct the message, all you've suggested and everyone else's too.

So, just close this tread.

Thanks to all who tried to help me.

Gloria E

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Could be related to the fact that you deleted the Silverlight add-in.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

DaveA wrote:Could be related to the fact that you deleted the Silverlight add-in.
Not so, I reinstalled Silverlight and IE, who's no longer my default browser, is still Not find the web page.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:
What size is it set to?
I've just switched browsers to Thunderbird, I've gotten so tired of the 'can't find' web page message. I've done everything that was mentioned that could correct the message, all you've suggested and everyone else's too.

Gloria E
Thunderbird is an email program, not a web browser.
Do you mean Mozilla? :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:
Gloria E wrote:
What size is it set to?

Gloria E
Thunderbird is an email program, not a web browser.
Do you mean Mozilla? :scratch:
Yes, sorry about that, I meant to write Firefox.

I just discovered that when I turn on tabs, IE suddenly can't find the webpage. I turned it off and all of a sudden IE finds what it couldn't find before. That's the way it stands now, no tabbed browsing. :scratch:

Gloria E

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria,
So if Firefox is your current web browser, then the fault is with Firefox not IE
BOB

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you tried running IE with addins disabled?

Joe
Joe

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:Gloria,
So if Firefox is your current web browser, then the fault is with Firefox not IE
Firefox is NOT the default browser, I'm so used to IE that I couldn't bear to part with it. I use Firefox only if I have difficulty using IE8, I'd rather give up tabs.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:
Firefox is NOT the default browser, I'm so used to IE that I couldn't bear to part with it. I use Firefox only if I have difficulty using IE8, I'd rather give up tabs.
You seem to be contradicting yourself.
Quote:
"Not so, I reinstalled Silverlight and IE, who's no longer my default browser, is still Not find the web page."
(Underline is mine.)
Can't keep up with you, Gloria. :sad: :bummer:
BOB

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:
Gloria E wrote:
You seem to be contradicting yourself.
Quote:
"Not so, I reinstalled Silverlight and IE, who's no longer my default browser, is still Not find the web page."
(Underline is mine.)
Can't keep up with you, Gloria. :sad: :bummer:
You're old enough to know that it's a woman's privilege to change her mind, often and completely :rofl:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria,
Uh huh, so just to set all of us confused males straight, just what IS your current default configuration, and which one are you having the problem with?
BOB

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Uh huh, so just to set all of us confused males straight, just what IS your current default configuration, and which one are you having the problem with?
Currently I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, IE8 (default), what browser will be the default tomorrow is any ones guess. Firefox is my back-up web browser.
Also using Windows Live as my default email client (this will not change anytime soon). Does this answer your question? I want to let you all know that the cannot display the webpage is not happening as often as it used to. I can live with what's going on with IE8 as it is.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Which IE8 are you using, the 32 or 64 bit version?

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

DaveA wrote:Which IE8 are you using, the 32 or 64 bit version?
I have no idea, all I know is the version is 8.0.7600.16, cypher strength 256-bit.
How do you tell which one it is? I repeat, I'm satisfied with the way it is now, so please don't pursue this topic anymore. Just answer the question so I will know which one I'm using.

Thanks Dave.

Gloria E

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

When you are running the 64 bit, "64 bit" will be listed in the "About IE"

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you select Help | About Internet Explorer in the 64-bit version, it'll have 64-bit edition after the version number; the 32-bit version doesn't have an equivalent.
ie864.png
(Don't worry about the version number in the screenshot, it's from another version of Windows.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans