IE 8 Problem With Security Certificate

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

IE 8 Problem With Security Certificate

Post by hlewton »

On one of my computers no matter where I try to go on the Internet using shortcuts I have had for a long time and know for sure they are good I get a message "There is a problem with this website's security certificate." I know there is nothing wrong with the website so how do I stop this message from appearing? I am using a machine with XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 and IE 8. Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: IE 8 Problem With Security Certificate

Post by HansV »

Microsoft suggests the following in "There is a problem with this website's security certificate" when you try to visit a secured website in Internet Explorer:
1.In Windows Internet Explorer, click Continue to this website (not recommended).
A red Address Bar and a certificate warning appear.
2.Click the Certificate Error button to open the information window.
3.Click View Certificates, and then click Install Certificate.
4.On the warning message that appears, click Yes to install the certificate.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you I'll give that a try. It just seems very strange that all of a sudden this should start happening on this one machine.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I did it and it says the Import was successful yet I still get the same error message the next time I tried reaching the site. Maybe it takes a reboot which I will have to wait to try because it is doing a deep virus scan at the moment.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Nope it is still giving me that error message even after a reboot and three attempts at installing the certificate.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I don't know it is worth mentioning but after the 3rd step above I am not offered the option to click "yes" Instead a Certificate Import Wizard appears and that is where I believe I have installed the certificate no less than 4 times and still to no avail. Clicking next in the Wizard brings me to a place where I have to choose an option of "Automatically select the certificate store, or you can specify a location" (this is the one that is selected) the next option is "Place all certificates in the following store" if I select that one it tries to get me to browse to a location so I have always just left the default of the first option selected. Selecting the next button brings me to the last step of importing the certificate and after choosing the "Finish" I get the message saying "The Import was successful." but obviously it isn't correcting the problem.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you get this problem on one website only, or are there others that have it too?

By the way, have you checked whether your computer's clock is set to the correct date?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Hans you fixed it again. The clock was set at Jan. 2, 2002. Once I changed that it worked correctly. Now the questions are what in the heck would have made the clock switch to that date and what can I do to correct it so it never happens again?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps the small battery on your motherboard has run out. That battery keeps the computer clock running even when the computer is turned off...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks I'll keep an eye on that. Do you know if settings in the BIOS will need reset if I change the battery?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm not a hardware expert, sorry. If you don't get a reply here, you might ask that question in the Hardware forum.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK thanks. I just checked and after being off about an hour it still retained the correct info so maybe something else caused it to go haywire. I will keep an eye on it when I turn it back on next week.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:Do you know if settings in the BIOS will need reset if I change the battery?
I'm not a hardware expert either but I do know that if you remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard then the BIOS will reset to its default settings so if you have made any changes to your BIOS it would be sensible to make a note of them before you change the battery.

Having said that, if the battery has already died (as suggested by the resetting of your clock) then the BIOS will have rolled back to it's defaults already.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Many motherboards have a capacitor that will hold the BIOS settings long enough to allow you to change the battery. Other motherboards have a backup copy of BIOS settings in non-volatile memory. Some motherboards just lose the BIOS settings when you take the battery out.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you both. I guess I'll just have to see when I turn it back on if the battery is dead. If so I guess I'll have to try to figure out what if any changes need to be made to the default settings.
Regards,
hlewton